Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Steam & Excursion > Plow past Coxo

Date: 01/03/17 20:32
Plow past Coxo
Author: Ardenwood

The date is May 3, 1993 (let me know if I am wrong) and the Cumbres and Toltec OY is pushed by two enjines, who became thirsty past Coxo and stopped for the crew to put snow in the tenders, so I finally had a rare chance to get ahead.   

Date: 01/03/17 21:20
Re: Plow past Coxo
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

WOW!!!  Whay a GORGEOUS photo!! IOTM!!!  Wow......
What an absolutel STUNNING photo!!  This  photo should
be in a book and in a calendar!!   Wow...........

Jaw. On. Floor.

Wow...........

Date: 01/03/17 23:11
Author: Railfan4Christ

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW!!!  Whay a GORGEOUS photo!! IOTM!!! 
> Wow......
> What an absolutel STUNNING photo!!  This  photo
> should
> be in a book and in a calendar!!  
> Wow...........
>
> Jaw. On. Floor.
>
> Wow...........
>
>

Ditto! Simply stunning!

Tom  

Date: 01/04/17 02:32
Author: GYModeller

Words cannot express the grandure of this image. Thank you for sharing.

Date: 01/04/17 07:02
Author: YG

Wow!

The picture in my mind is you were standing waist-deep in snow to get this shot.

Steve Mitchell
yardgoatimages.com

Date: 01/04/17 07:25
Author: johnacraft

YG Wrote:
> The picture in my mind is you were standing waist-deep in snow to get this shot.

It would have been easier plowing if we had been. About the only place I remember postholing is around trees.

Date: 01/04/17 07:45
Author: Topfuel

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
> WOW!!!  Whay a GORGEOUS photo!! IOTM!!! 
> Wow......
> What an absolutel STUNNING photo!!  This  photo
> should
> be in a book and in a calendar!!  
> Wow...........
>
> Jaw. On. Floor.
>
> Wow...........

I'm not sure, but I think Margaret likes your picture.

Date: 01/04/17 08:27
Author: callum_out

You were lucky that C/NM/DOT didn't let the road get that deep! Having ridden one of those when they were run as Specials
in the seventies it was amazing they got that far! That's in incredible picture for a number of reasons, thanks for posting it,
we keep hoping it'll happen again.

Out

Date: 01/05/17 16:48
Author: Earlk

The pic was taken either on May 3 or 4.  I was pilot on the OY for that adventure.  We had 3 engines, 487, 497 and 488.  We managed to get to near Coxo the first the day and called it quits and headed for home for the night.  Melting snow had softened the track track below Cresco and derailed 488 as we were going back.  After a few hours of work, we got her back on and 488 went back to town,while the other two engines and OY spent the night at Cresco.  The next morning, May 4, 488 and the outfit cars came back up to Cresco, we coupled the rest of the outfit together and headed for the top.  We were running short of coal and a load had been trucked up to the highway crossing below Coxo to fill the tenders.  The water tank at Cresco had been sucked dry and entire outfit was getting short on water.  Was we crewed out way along, the section gang was shoveling snow up onto the tender decks and shoving it down into the tenders.  Within a quarter mile of Cumbres, the engines were out of water and the Chama Fire Dept had to come up to water the engines.  We finally arrrived at Cumbres about 930 that night.

The second pic by Mr. Craft shows us stopped between Coxo and Windy Point.  Some small aspen trees - about the size of the others you see here - had been knocked down over the track by a snowslide, then buried in more snow.  We came churning our way up the hill, then suddenly a tree branch several feet out in the snow from the OY began to shake.  We quickly stopped and had the section guys dig it out and saw it up.  In the pic you can see Abe Gallegos, section hand, Jack Campbell - rotary fireman, myself, Marvin Casias - rotary engineer, and another section hand taking a break while the offending tree was dug out. 

Date: 01/06/17 01:55
Author: Hookdragkick

Un-flippin' believable! That shot looks like an oil painting. You scored big on that one!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/06/17 15:56
Author: nycman

Haruo, you need to publish a book of your photography.   Another beauty!

Date: 01/06/17 16:03
Author: mp51w

Yeah, and it's even the shady side, but it doesn't matter.  Spectacular!

Date: 01/08/17 04:14
Author: RailRat

Absolutely Stunnig Photos!,,and one of my favorite videos is of the Cumbres and Toltec 1993 (?) Triple head Rotary, not only for the snow plow and steam pusher action, but also the Sound of the whistles Echoing through the canyons!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0531 seconds