Home Open Account Help 156 users online

Steam & Excursion > Help Please: Which NW 611 Excursion to Take?

Date: 01/05/17 12:00
Help Please: Which NW 611 Excursion to Take?
Author: Sasquatch

Hello All,

My wife and I are considering an excursion behind N&W 611 this Spring, and were wondering if you have any recommendations as to which trip might be the most enjoyable?

We enjoy being able to view the engine working, so it helps if the trip is more than just boring through tunnels of trees…open farm country and river running usually provides open views of the locomotive at work.

Additionally, we love great scenery and routes through mountainous terrain as well, as opposed to heavily-citied routes.

And finally, on the second day we’d like to chase the train a bit, or at least set up in a scenic spot or two for nice photographs of the train and as much of the consist as possible.

Having said all that, which trip of the three below would you recommend as probably being the “best” route to take?  And does the average spring weather play into that decision at all?

The Cavalier – May 6 & 7 - Lynchburg, Virginia to Petersburg, Virginia

The Roanoker – April 22 & 23 - Greensboro, North Carolina to Roanoke, Virginia

The Virginian – April 8 & 9 - Spencer, NC to Lynchburg, VA

Thanks in advance to all who post ideas and recommendations; we sure appreciate hearing your offerings!

-Tom

Date: 01/05/17 12:19
Re: Help Please: Which NW 611 Excursion to Take?
Author: Appalachianrails

The Roanoker. Part of the route goes over the former Virginian between Roanoke and Altavista, VA which is a freight only route with some impressive trestles.

Date: 01/05/17 12:22
Author: arrow611

Out of these three choices, the Roanoker probably will offer the best combination of interesting scenery and opportunities to see the locomotive working. Most of this will be on the former Virginian west of Altavista after leaving the former Southern mainline. However, to get the best of both I would recommend the half-day trips out of Roanoke. Of those, the better choice probably is the afternoon trips west over Christiansburg Mountain to the wye at Walton, near Radford. If you have the time, these would also allow you to chase on one of the days you don't ride the train.

Date: 01/05/17 13:17
Author: holiwood

Has anybody taken The Cavalier?  
I am thinking about it since no Manassas trips this year

hollywood
NS B Line MP 74

Date: 01/05/17 16:03
Author: typebangin

The April 8th and 9th trips will have diesel helpers...

Date: 01/05/17 18:03
Author: Tominde

I did the afternoon trip from Roanoke to Walton last year.   In the morning I was able to watch 611 go up Blue Ridge, watch it return to Roanoke, service the engine in Roanoke and a great ride in the afternoon.  I highly recommend a dome car to see the engine better.  Note:  You will not hear the engine.  No open windows anywhere. 

Short 3 minute video to capture the day.   Why the music?   Because all you hear is people in the dome ta

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/05/17 19:42
Author: RuleG

Sasquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  
> Additionally, we love great scenery and routes
> through mountainous terrain as well, as opposed to
> heavily-citied routes.
>  
What rail routes are "heavily-citied," except for the Northeast Corridor and a few lines in the west and midwest?  The 611 would never run on those routes, anyway.

Date: 01/06/17 16:02
Author: nycman

Tom, are you willing to take a hitchhiker from Oregon along?

Date: 01/09/17 16:07
Thank you for your help.
Author: Sasquatch

Ha ha ha...Jim; sorry...only if you fit in a carry-on!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions; I sure appreciate it.

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds