Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP 2816 At Port Costa

Date: 01/14/17 21:08
SP 2816 At Port Costa
Author: Barstool

RL-Cabin mentioned 2816 while we were talking about a real late Train 21, so here is 2-8-0 2816 tied down for the time being in Port costa, the date is 12-7-1955, and 2816 has been working the Pittsburg turn...The Pittsburg turn gets its tonnage from WB's from roseville and out of oakland where over flow traffic from the coast that the valley can't handle comes on a drag out of oakland every day to Port Costa, whichusually sports a 2-8-0, but once in a while, a 2-8-2 will get the call...WB's out of roseville will about twice a week have about 20 loads of coiled steel for Pittsburg which the Pittsburg turn gets, so the 2816 has here work cut out for her.....Note 2-8-0 2587 to the left and to the right almost out of the picture is the two stall round house which use to harbot 2-6-0's when not in use, but now its 2-8-0 area and Alco s-2's...

Date: 01/17/17 10:06
Re: SP 2816 At Port Costa
Author: jcarrol1

Barstool, your commentary about the 2-8-0's in Port Costa is awesome. The Pittburgh Turn has me more curiousĀ about the other traffic besides the coiled steel for Pittburgh that the Pittburgh TurnĀ  handled. My research on that has been somewhat sparse. Any info on the traffic handled by the turn will give me a better look on the activity around the Pittburgh area.

Regards,

John Carroll

Date: 01/17/17 10:18
Re: SP 2816 At Port Costa
Author: Barstool

The Pittsburg Turn, also had cars for interchange with the Santa Fe and the Sacramento Northern...There were a fair number of industries that took box car traffic and tank car traffic also and CampstonemenĀ  took cars and during the korean war, there were troop trains several times a week by both the santa Fe and the SP...There was a beer distrubition business that took a lot of cars and a Lundye plant that was very busy recieving and shipping out tank and box csrs....There were a lot more, but i couldn't travel that far, so maybe some one else can fill in the voids....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds