Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Steam & Excursion > She is well stacked.

Date: 01/17/17 16:53
She is well stacked.
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Quite a stack on this gal.  Caption of photo as follows :

Baldwin No. 1 was built by Baldwin in November 1906, #29588, as Lufkin Land & Lumber Co 1. It became Shreveport Houston & Gulf RR 1 and transferred as Carter-Kelley Lumber Co 1 in 1913.  It was sold as Carter 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970, It was leased as Scott & Bearskin RR 1 and later sold to Eureka Springs & North Arkansas as 1 in 1981.  This 2-6-0 (MOGUL) Steam Locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, PA. In 1906 was built new as a woodburner and has never been converted to any other fuel. It has a "Cabbage Head" spark arrester type smokestack. Operates at 200 pounds steam pressure - weighs approx. 50 tons (engine & tender) loaded with water & fuel. Burns about 1-1/2 to 2 cords of wood per day.  Supposedly Carter Lumber retired her only because she burned so much fuel daily.

Date: 01/17/17 19:46
Re: She is well stacked.
Author: CPRR

Where is she at now? I love this locomotive ever since I saw her in a older railroad book I have

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/17/17 19:53
Author: elueck

Engine is in Reader, AR.  Stack and grates went into twin #2 for use in Florida on the operation there which is shutting down at the end of the month.  A number of the W.T. Carter engines burned wood up until the very end, especially if they were in the woods.  

One of the last living Crowell Long Leaf Lumber Co. employees, Sherman Sumbler, Jr. once told me that everyone hated their last woodburner, #202 (which is today at Long Leaf, LA) because it took a whole crew of several men gathering and stacking wood to keep the engine in steam during the week, and it was worse when it had to go in from the woods to the shop.  

Date: 01/18/17 12:28
Author: Kimball

I wonder about 200 psi in 1906 with slide valves?  Seems pretty high? 

Date: 01/18/17 18:28
Author: Earlk

Not much of  comparison, but I know of quite a few early 1900's locomotives built to run on 200 lbs.  Three that I can think of are the 1903 D&RGW 125 class (later K-27)  narrow gauge 2-8-2's. Built as Vauclain Compounds and rebuilt as slide valve simple engines before being superheated later.  The D&RGW standard gauge 2-8-0's later rebuilt as the narrow gauge K37 class were built in 1902 as Vauclain Compound engines at also later simpled with slide valves.  The SP 1744 (2-6-0) was built in 1901 also as a VC, rebuilt simple also.

I do kinda doubt that little shortline/logging Mogul ws built with that high of pressure.......

Date: 01/18/17 20:56

Shreveport, Houston and Gulf #1 was indeed built with 200# BP, as was her later sister engine #3.  On the other hand, #2, built virtually at the same time by Baldwin, always carried 180# BP.  Even when they were last used together, the 20# difference was still there according to my information source on both locomotives. 

Date: 01/19/17 10:23
Author: Earlk

20 pounds of steam pressure would make a noticable difference in how an engine ran.  The higher pressure cold make it more slippery when starting, but underway it would get a lot more "bang for the buck".  To have two otherwise identical locomotives with such different boiler pressures is real odd.  I would think the boilers would have differences in stay bolt pitch, sheet thickness, etc. unless they built both boilers to be rated at 200 psi, and simply set the pops on #2 at 180 "just because...."

One thing I can relate to this is when climbing Cumbres with a full tonnage train, if the fireman got in trouble and the steam dropped from 195 (MWP) to 185, there was very noticable loss in performance.  If you dropped to 180, you were screwed.  At that point the boiler was pretty much maxed out.  Between the loss of power and loss of effciency, you could not get ahead again.  You had to run the injector wide open to keep the water up, and the cylinders used the steam as fast as the boiler could make it.  More than once I used the excuse of "injector problems" to stop at Cresco Tank to top off the tender and more importantly, blow her hot again.  Once we got our act together again, she would steam, hold water, and pull again. 

Date: 01/19/17 12:53

As I remember, the current form 4 on #2  rated her initally at 140#.  With a bit of work and tweaking, the new one is 145# which actually makes a noticeable difference.  Of course where it was running, it was dead flat, so every little bit is really noticeable.

Date: 01/19/17 17:49
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Here is a photo of a crew whose sole job was collecting and cutting wood for a steam engine,
near San Augustine, Texas.

Date: 01/20/17 12:10
Author: rrman6

Do I smell sweat here??!!!!  We're all a bunch of wimps today compared to these guys earning a few cents for their labors.  We owe them and others like them for what we have nowadays.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds