Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Steam & Excursion > It Is Images Like This That Have Any Railfan Dreaming Of Spring!

Date: 01/19/17 01:01
It Is Images Like This That Have Any Railfan Dreaming Of Spring!
Author: LoggerHogger

While many of us, especially those of us in the West are already tired of the snowy, wet and cold days of winter, we can always look forward to the promise of the coming of Spring.  Here is an image to get us all thinking in that direction.

The date is May of 1937 and the location is Chicago Park on the charming Nevada County Narrow Gauge RR.  This is the first railfan excursion to be held in the West and they could not have picked a more lovely spring day to hold the trip on.

We can certainly see the relaxed and casual atmosphere enjoyed by the patrons riding the aging narrow gauge cars on this fine day.  Who wouldn't look forward to such a trip if we could only catch that same train on that charming little railroad this coming spring?

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 01:07 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/19/17 02:16
Re: It Is Images Like This That Have Any Railfan Dreaming Of Spri
Author: RailRat

Great!!!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 01/19/17 08:40
Re: It Is Images Like This Have Any Railfan Dreaming Of Spring
Author: cozephyr

Where's the photo line?  Those railfans sure enjoy climbing up onto the locomotive, tender and passenger car.  Must have been a sold out affair!

Date: 01/19/17 09:25
Author: mcfflyer

I've seen other photos of this first excursion, but wow!  Is that a guy laying on the roof of the locomotive cab?  And what would posess anyone to get on top of a passenger car?  Thanks for sharing this Martin!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 01/19/17 11:25
Author: hogantunnel

Very different era for safety concerns in those days...
Not familiar with Chicago Park, location please. Thanks

Date: 01/19/17 17:10
Author: Auburn_Ed

Climbing up ANYTHING was okay, back in those days. I knew people who broke wrists and ankles back in those days.  They knew it was their fault and never filed claims or lawsuits.  About the early 50's they stopped climbing on moving equipment, but signal bridges, coaling towers, stationary objects were still okay to climb.  Then the number of lawyers jumped and nobody was responsible for themselves anymore. It was always SOMEONE ELSE'S fault!  And we are making progress?

Ed

Date: 01/19/17 23:01
Author: wpamtk

hogantunnel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very different era for safety concerns in those
> days...
> Not familiar with Chicago Park, location please.
> Thanks

Chicago Park: between Colfax and Grass Valley on the NCNG. The railroad ran from Colfax (connection with SP) to Nevada City, Calif.

Date: 01/20/17 13:12
Author: wp1801

About 1970 my family and I bought tickets to ride the Oregon pacific and Eastern excursion out of  Cottage Grove, Oregon. Before departing the Village Green station I asked the crew if we could ride in the engine (#19) the crew person said yes but wait until we start and then climb over the tender.We did. That would never happen now!

Date: 01/20/17 23:38
Author: coach

These early, wonderful railfan trips happened during a period of time when lawyers were far and few between, and America was better for it.  

Date: 01/23/17 20:45
Author: lwilton

It occurred to me a while back that the Age Of Majority was also often referred to as the Age Of Responsibility. It was the statute age when you ceased being a minor and your parents were responsible for your actions, and became an adult and assumed your adult responsibilities.

Now it's just the age when you can legally get roaring drunk.

Date: 01/24/17 09:53
Author: march_hare

Wow, look how clunky those people's iPhones were back then.  So much easier to take pictures today.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds