Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Steam & Excursion > Medco No. 4

Date: 01/20/17 00:58
Medco No. 4
Author: TonyJ

I spent four hours yesterday inside our Southern Oregon Railway Historical Society's museum located at the Medford Railroad Park. As the club's archivist/historian/curator it is my job to sort through the club's collection, enter everything on a database, and create the displays for the public to enjoy. With lots of extra spare time available this year on account of bad weather preventing me from working on our Live Steamers club's trackage, I have done more so far this winter than the last three winters combined. Yesterday I found this wonderful photo of Medford Corporation (MEDCO) No. 4 somewhere in the woods east of Medford. There is no information on the photo, but I love it because it is a well lit, broadside shot of the engineer's side of this 1925-built Willamette. Notice what appears to be about 50-lb rail the train is on. There is a wisp of smoke coming out of the stack. Medco No. 4 is now inside the Medford Railroad park and being restored for operation.

Date: 01/20/17 05:09
Re: Medco No. 4
Author: LoggerHogger

Great color photo Tony.  Any color photos of steam loggers at work are to be cherished.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/17 07:35 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/20/17 08:27

Thank you Martin. I like your photo as well.

Tony

Date: 01/20/17 08:37
Author: callum_out

Geez, 50#, is that per mile?

Out

Date: 01/20/17 10:19

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez, 50#, is that per mile?
>
> Out

That's being generous. As an aside, our chapter has a copy of the 1929 Nash Report which was commissioned by Southern Pacific. At the time SP was concerned that Medco would re-examine the possibility of connecting Great Northern's Pacific & Eastern RR plan to connect Medford with Klamath Falls and GN's Oregon Trunk Line. The Nash Report was a detailed mile-by-mile survey of the entire Medford Logging Railroad route. So much of the rails, ballast, ties, etc., was in such poor shape that SP didn't have to worry, plus the Great Depression was only a few months away.

Date: 01/20/17 23:14
Author: Finderskeepers

What does it say on the cab side? Almost looks like "State Crayola 27"

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/17 11:20

Finderskeepers Wrote:
> What does it say on the cab side? Almost looks
> like "State Crayola 27"
>
> Posted from iPhone

That's what it says!!! Seriously, for a reason I can't recall, MEDCO place a State of Oregon number of the side of their cabs. Under the engine number it reads "State No 3024--25" 

Date: 01/21/17 18:20
Author: callum_out

Ah that's just the hoghead's internet handle.

Out

Date: 01/21/17 18:57
Author: BAB

Dont understand Tony why you are not out working on track, have ties for you. Well should say will have when the snow isnt four feet deep and the roads are better on this side of the hill. Our tracks are buried in two feet of snow right now.

Date: 01/21/17 20:48

BAB Wrote:
> Dont understand Tony why you are not out working
> on track, have ties for you. Well should say will
> have when the snow isnt four feet deep and the
> roads are better on this side of the hill. Our
> tracks are buried in two feet of snow right now.

I have a good excuse why I wasn't out there working on the tracks. I didn't want to!

During a brieif spell of clear weather last week I walked the mainline with my leaf blower, fully expecting to find a lot of branches over the tracks, however the tracks were reasonably clear of debris. There were about 5 or large branches on the ground, but only one was across the mainline, so I shoved it aside. Next I wanted to look from frost heaves and other track damage so I took a train around. The ride was smooth and I found only one spot where the rails contracted enough to make the joint a bit crooked. Next I took "Tinkerbelle" and my work train around because that locomotive feels irregularities more. In the end I found only three locations where frost heaves made the tracks a bit crooked. What a relief! I also inspected Thomas' tracks and they are good. In case you hadn't hadn't head, the new station fence is complete and in place. Looks real good. - Tony 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0735 seconds