Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Steam & Excursion > 3751 question

Date: 02/15/17 10:31
3751 question
Author: CPRR

IF it was able, could 3751 do a weekend run to OERRM in Perris on the new Metrolink line? If it was possible to get her to OERRM, could she be turned for the return trip? CAN OERRM and 3751 group put aside any feelings between themselves to plan a trip like this? I would think that this would be a win-win with both groups, if it was promoted well in the LA/Orange county area.

One can dream.

Date: 02/15/17 11:14
Re: 3751 question
Author: andersonb109

There are rumors of a weekend photo charter on this line with the 4751 and matching equipment. 

Date: 02/15/17 13:18
Author: The_Chief_Way

What kind of equipment would match the 3751?

Date: 02/15/17 16:41
Author: Spikes

Any ideas for steam ops are welcome. There is no turning wye at Perris. There is one at Highgrove - not sure if it would 'work'. There is one in San Bernardino that 3751 used. The Perris line is not used by Metrolink on weekends. High traffic mains lead to the Perris line. I don't think a 4-8-4 ever ran to or by Perris. 

Date: 02/15/17 20:00
Author: Josta

There is indeed a turning wye on the museum grounds in Perris on their mainline; it is visible on Google Earth.  There is also another wye on the line between Rider and Cajalco Streets, also visible on Google Earth.

John

Date: 02/15/17 20:48
Author: MojaveBill

Any pre-Amtrak equipment should match especially heavyweight and early lightweight. I believe those engines pullled the streamlined Chief back in the day....

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/15/17 21:35
Author: wattslocal

Regarding a 3751 trip to Perris, with some work it could possibly become a reality.

This is only my opinion and I am not on the Board anymore, so can not speak with any firm possibility. I am not aware of any anamosity between the two organizations, but railfans are railfans.

Last month the PRS ran a LA-Perris trip that was lightly patronized. I don't know why, maybe little advertisement or nobody wants to ride to Perris.

If a future trip were to be run with the 3751 there would probably only have Metrolink coaches available. I doubt if any of our cars would be allowed to go out on the Santa Fe anymore, but we use them on our line regularly as our needs arise.

To have the 3751 run on our line the following needs to be accomplished: The Board would have to approve it. The connection track needs to be filled, aligned and tamped before such a heavy loco can run on it. Our mainline is 90# rail and should be okay. Water is available. Our wye is in question as to such a long wheel base loco could use it, but our 6-axle locos have no problems. One mainline switch may be too sharp also. I don't know the radius of the curves. All would have to be assessed to make it a success.

There is an AT&SF wye just north of Perris but is out of service due to bad ties, In due time they may fix it. Possibly 3751 could run backwards back to Hi grove as it did last year to Santa Clarity.

Sometime in the future maybe this could all come together. Great minds accomplish great things.

Ray Ballash
aka Watts local

Date: 02/16/17 11:03
Author: Spikes

Josta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is indeed a turning wye on the museum
> grounds in Perris ... also another wye on
> the line between Rider and Cajalco Streets,

Rider St. wye requires lots of running on old BNSF track; not very safe. Perris appears tight for a big engine.
Using satellite and graphics for fun I laid Perris Y onto Miramar Y onto Highgrove Y.
Miramar looks large; Perris looks small. I dont have any data.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/17 11:09 by Spikes.

Date: 02/16/17 23:59
Author: SP4360

That would be one way for OERM to inherit another steam loco.

Josta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is indeed a turning wye on the museum
> grounds in Perris on their mainline; it is visible
> on Google Earth.  There is also another wye on
> the line between Rider and Cajalco Streets, also
> visible on Google Earth.
>
> John

Date: 02/22/17 09:55
Author: mundo

The subject of 3751 and a "Y" at Perris was discussed last summer on TO.

At the the time, it was found that the "Y" at the museum was a 14 degree curve.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds