Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Steam & Excursion > Three shades

Date: 03/21/17 17:05
Three shades
Author: Ardenwood

These surfaced after twenty some years.
Picture 1 P36-050 and P36-218 (blue) are going toward green board near Kodnya? February 25, 1994
Picture 2 Same 4-8-4 engines between Bystra and Zitomir.   Also on February 25, 1994.
Picture 3   P6-071   I think different season and year.  I have no clues as to the time or place ,any help will  be apreciated.

Date: 03/21/17 17:11
Re: Three shades
Author: The_Chief_Way

Give us a clue. Is this the USSR or where ?

Date: 03/21/17 17:18

Yes it was Russia.  I visited there when it was the USSR, I  was watched by a "guide" not to take bridges, tunnels, depots, trains, and the list was long.

Date: 03/21/17 17:36
Author: HotWater

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes it was Russia.  I visited there when it was
> the USSR, I  was watched by a "guide" not to take
> bridges, tunnels, depots, trains, and the list was
> long.

Spent all that money to visit there, photograph steam, and you don't even remember the year?  Maybe check the visa stamp in your passport?

Date: 03/21/17 21:15

Thank you HotWater it was the time the USSR just cllapsed and Russia was just a new born.  I think the tour was put toger by a person whose name started with an H in Alexandria but I don't recall the details.

Date: 03/22/17 04:02
Author: andersonb109

There was a steam train tour in Ukraine in February of 1994. The train with the blue and green P36's look a lot like photos I've seen of that train. The reason I know about it is that the same organizers ran a 10 year anniversary trip in Ukraine in 2004 on which I was a participant. That trip was organized by Reggie Tonrey and Nils Huxtable. Could be just a coincidence but is it possible you were also in Ukraine (also part of former Soviet Union) and Russia? 

Date: 03/22/17 23:19

Thank you andersonb109, pictures 1 and 2 are indeed shot in today's Ukraine.  Picture 3 was taken somewhere between Moscow and Archangelsk, an atomin sub base on the North Sea.  At that time (two or three years before the first two pictures) the Ukraine was still in the limbo state.  For example, the overnight trainfrom Moscow to Kiev had no border formalities such as the inspection of passports.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds