Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Steam & Excursion > Virginia and Truckee new steam?

Date: 03/04/05 10:19
Virginia and Truckee new steam?
Author: zephyrus

Altamont Press just posted that the V&T Restoration purchased a steam locomotive. Anyone know which one they bought or any other details?

Also, what's the story on how the new V&T interfaces with the current operation? Are they going to buy Bob Grey out? Will V&T 29 (and maybe my favorite, Clover Valley/FRSL 8) end up running into Carson City?

Any chance that V&T 27 could return to "home" rails? Or any other V&T steamer for that matter?

Thanks!

Z

Date: 03/04/05 10:56
Re: Virginia and Truckee new steam?
Author: JDLX

"Altamont Press just posted that the V&T Restoration purchased a steam locomotive. Anyone know which one they bought or any other details?"

Steam Locomotive in question is McCloud Railway's ex-McCloud River #18 (Baldwin 1914 Mikado). See the thread "McCloud #18 to Virginia City" below.

"Also, what's the story on how the new V&T interfaces with the current operation? Are they going to buy Bob Grey out? Will V&T 29 (and maybe my favorite, Clover Valley/FRSL 8) end up running into Carson City?"

Good question...not something that has been discussed, at least publicly. So far I have not seen any mention that Bob Grey's outfit will run the new construction, or that the new outfit will run over Bob's trackage. The fact that the restoration committee is out purchasing its own equipment probably says something...

"Any chance that V&T 27 could return to "home" rails? Or any other V&T steamer for that matter?"

Possible, but doubtfull that NSRM would let their ex-V&T locomotives out of the museum. Note that the locomotive that they use most of the time at the museum has only very sketchy Nevada roots...the operable locomotives from Nevada that they have are steamed up only a handfull of times a year, if even that.

JDLX
Elko, NV

Date: 03/04/05 11:51

Thanks. Completely missed that thread. My head's not right this week.

Z

Date: 03/04/05 19:08
Author: Ed_Gyptian

I have a feeling, that for special occasionx, the NSRM would operate someof it's locomotives on the rebuilt V&T. Not for revenue service though. As for the 27, it is inoperable, did you mean the 25? The NSRM seems willing to take it's locomotives to Sacramento for stuff, so it wouldn't be too hard for them to take them across town to stretch their legs...

Date: 03/05/05 09:06

No, I was thinking the 27, but the 25 would also qualify. I figure that NSRM would be more inclined to operate the "newer" engines on the line, rather than strain something as old as the "Inyo". That, of course, would depend on them getting the 27 running again.

Date: 03/05/05 09:41
Author: Ed_Gyptian

As I understand it, when they were originally restoring the 27, the intent was operation, but in the process, it was determined that it would be too expensive and would require the rplacement of the entire boiler. I belive also there was something about the asbestos fusing or something like that. So, unfortunately, 27 will probably never run under her own power again. (although some day I do hope to be proven wrong...)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds