Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Steam & Excursion > May 21-22 1225 Excursion Questions

Date: 03/14/05 20:32
May 21-22 1225 Excursion Questions
Author: RuleG

What is the scenery like along the route of the May 21-22 1225 trips between Owosso and Cadillac?

At what speed does this train typically travel? Are there photo run-bys?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Date: 03/15/05 05:42
Re: May 21-22 1225 Excursion Questions
Author: bnsfbob

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the scenery like along the route of the
> May 21-22 1225 trips between Owosso and Cadillac?
>
> At what speed does this train typically travel?
> Are there photo run-bys?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave

Owosso north is typical midwestern cornfields. There are lots of trees along the track. As you approach Cadillac, the scenery improves with more trees including forests of pines and several scenic lakes along the track. The city of Cadillac itself is quite scenic. The train loading area is in a city park next to a lake.

Track speed is about 40.

I highly recommend this trip including the side trip west to Yuma. I did it in 2003 and I got great photos/video during the run-bys. There were two run-bys going north and two going south. Expect a double run-by at one location each way. The crews usually give you a "sound and fury" speed run for video and then a slow over-fired chug for slide shooters. When you get to Caddy don't be in a hurry to hop on the bus for the motel. Stick around under the shade trees next to the track and watch the crews service the engine and then shoot it leaving for the yard.

Check out the Owosso yard and the nearby restored depot at Durand. Bob

see:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,762057,762057#msg-762057

Date: 03/15/05 06:35
Author: GTWGregg

North of Owosso is open farm land and tons of green meadows. The scenery changes to college dorms and stadiums as you get into Mount Pleasant. After Mount Pleasant, the line is bordered by trees on both sides of the tracks. It really gets pretty north of Clare. Between Clare, and Cadillac is nothing but wonderful green pine trees and forests that I personally love being in. Yes the area in Cadillac is pretty too, and Lake Cadillac makes a pretty background when photographing the engine. The side trip to Yuma is always a blast too. On the 2003 trip, we did a double runby in Lake George, but last year it was in Farwell. I personally like Lake George better. I highly recommend that you contact Lake Central Rail Tours and Buy a ticket... You won't be sorry you did!

Date: 03/15/05 07:54
Author: chico

Lets see, PM 1225 to Cadillac, MILW 261 to Duluth in the same weekend.

decisions decisions

Date: 03/15/05 19:05
Author: RuleG

Thanks Bob & Gregg

Dave

Date: 03/17/05 00:38
Author: htcanfield

PM 1225 runs without a diesel, on jointed rail and pulls open window coaches. Milw 261 runs with an Amtrak diesel and pulls coaches with windows that do not open. Making a decision as to which is the best to ride and/or photograph should not be to hard to do.

Date: 03/17/05 05:54
Author: bnsfbob

htcanfield Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PM 1225 runs without a diesel, on jointed rail and
> pulls open window coaches. Milw 261 runs with an
> Amtrak diesel and pulls coaches with windows that
> do not open. Making a decision as to which is the
> best to ride and/or photograph should not be to
> hard to do.

It is doubtful that the 261 trip will run with a diesel. I think the 261 trainset still has an open window car. May in Duluth can be quite chilly, BTW.

I don't think the windows in the ex-VIA coaches that 1225 uses open either.

It's a frustrating dilemma when you have only a few steam trips each year that you have to choose between two running on the same weekend. Bob

Date: 03/17/05 09:12
Author: GTWGregg

No, those ex VIA cars DO NOT have open windows. They have vestibules though. WHO CARES ABOUT DIESELS!! As long as there is a steam engine in the lead, I'll chase (or ride) it. I'd like to chase 261 someday (and ride it too), but seeing I'm at least 2 years away from being able to drive, I can't do it now. 1225 is my favorite engine, and she is close by here in Michigan, so I just chase her for now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds