Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Nostalgia & History > Charlie Carter, Western division Locomotive Engineer

Date: 10/28/05 18:41
Charlie Carter, Western division Locomotive Engineer
Author: ShastaLake

Charlie Carter passed away today. Charlie hired out with the SP in Oakland, Calif. 1972 as a locomotive Engineer.

Charlie would call me at least two times a year just to check on how the railroad was doing and ask about those he had worked with. Charlie was blue flagged (disability) sometime in the eighties and then I believe he worked for the Napa California wine train.

Their were some who didn’t care for Charlie, for what ever reason, but I can tell you that he would give you his one and only shirt if you were cold.

I remember when he was a fireman on #14 and the conductor sent a whistle signal to increase the heat, (before pack sets), when they got into San Jose the conductor ask why he did not turn up the steam….His reply was, Sorry, when you sent the whistle signal I didn’t know if you wanted your pastrami on wheat or rye.

That was Charlie.

May he rest in peace.

Mike Rogers
Div 425

Date: 10/28/05 20:19
Re: Charlie Carter, Western division Locomotive Enginee
Author: 4merroad4man

Got a photo of Charlie, pin striped bibs and all, standing on the front deck of the 4338 as he (and his train, the SJRVY, I believe) passed my switch engine as we sat at the west end of the Desert.

Charlie was always good for a laugh or two.

Sorry to see him gone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds