Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chasing Santa Fe's Cadiz Turn

Date: 01/30/06 13:03
Chasing Santa Fe's Cadiz Turn
Author: GrandeGold

In April of 1993, I chased Santa Fe's "Cadiz Turn" train #807 from Barstow east to Cadiz. I first set up for it just outside Barstow and grabbed several shots including Baghdad, Amboy, Ludlow and Cadiz. The Mojave Desert was an amazingly sterile and hauntingly beautiful place to spend a day.

In this view, taken at 10:54 a.m., Santa Fe 2743 East proudly displays it's glossy flanks on wash bridge 674.0 near Baghdad. The trio of blue and yellow units had 16 cars for interchange with the Arizona & California Railway at Cadiz...

Date: 01/30/06 13:11
Santa Fe Shooter at Cadiz

While waiting at Cadiz for the slow moving Cadiz Turn, I caught several trains blowing through town. At 20 minutes past noon, the ATSF 7449 East cruised through town with 102 cars at 70 mph. The Cadiz Turn was next (and very last) in a parade of eastbounds.

I was surprised to find so many hearty trees lining the north side of the double track main at Cadiz. The location is found just north of the wye which takes off to the left and connects to the Arizona & California's Cadiz Sub...

Date: 01/30/06 13:18
Arizona & California's Arrival

Santa Fe train #807 from Barstow arrived at Cadiz about 30 minutes prior to the Arizona & California's train from Parker. The crew had already turned their power on the wye and awaited ARZC's train #708.

At 1:25 p.m. the ARZC 3803 West arrived at Cadiz with 27 cars of interchange for the Santa Fe. The milepost at this location read 189.9. Is this distance measured from Parker to Cadiz or Phoenix to Cadiz?

Anyhow, the Arizona & California soon won me over with it's clean and tastefully designed paint scheme with geep-type diesels on the head end...

Date: 01/30/06 13:20
Re: Santa Fe Shooter at Cadiz
Author: NscaleMike

Nice series of images once again James!

Mike

Date: 01/30/06 13:25
Santa Fe #708 Ready to Depart for Barstow

By 1:40 p.m., Santa Fe crews had exchanged cars and were coupled onto the 27 received from the Arizona & California from Phoenix. ATSF train #708 and crew are now performing an air test just prior to departure to Barstow. Another anomoly at Cadiz was this lonely old palm tree pictured across the mainline from the wye.

It was really a lot of fun to spend some time at this remote location in the vast Mojave Desert region.

James

Date: 01/30/06 14:21
Re: Santa Fe #708 Ready to Depart for Barstow
Author: FriendlySP

The mileposts are measured from Matthie (connection with the Santa Fe's Phoenix - West Williams Jct. line.

You're correct about the palm tree. Palms are not native to the Southwest. Chances are that they mark the former location of the depot or other railroad structures.

Bob K.
Tucson

Date: 01/30/06 15:30
Author: Evan_Werkema

GrandeGold Wrote:

> I was surprised to find so many hearty trees
> lining the north side of the double track main at
> Cadiz. The location is found just north of the wye
> which takes off to the left and connects to the
> Arizona & California's Cadiz Sub...

I believe Santa Fe planted and irrigated trees down there in an attempt to keep sand from blowing onto the right-of-way. See:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,155080,155080#msg-155080

Date: 01/30/06 15:33
Author: mcdeo

I think it's odd that the SF crew turned on the wye.

Date: 01/30/06 17:24
Author: bnsfbob

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GrandeGold Wrote:
>
> > I was surprised to find so many hearty trees
> > lining the north side of the double track
> main at
> > Cadiz. The location is found just north of
> the wye
> > which takes off to the left and connects to
> the
> > Arizona & California's Cadiz Sub.

> I believe Santa Fe planted and irrigated trees
> down there in an attempt to keep sand from blowing
> onto the right-of-way.

Yes, but I think the palms were associated with company facilities that were once here incl section gang housing. Bob

Date: 01/30/06 19:09
Author: stevelv

mcdeo Wrote:
> I think it's odd that the SF crew turned on the
> wye.

In the half dozen times I've been there for the train swap the BNSF has turned their power on the wye. Seems like normal practice and is probably easier than setting up a new leader for the return trip to Barstow.
Steve B.

Date: 01/30/06 20:49
Author: sploopconductor

stevelv Wrote:
> mcdeo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think it's odd that the SF crew turned on
> the wye.

My #1 reason would be not to have to repack my grip(s) and move it to the other end!

My #2 (and so on) reasons would be not having to air-test the locomotives again... 'new' control stand, etc.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 01/31/06 05:43
Author: ats90mph

And the station is spelled Bagdad. Santa Fe was not totally correct in relating it to the one in Iraq.

Date: 01/31/06 10:42
Re: Santa Fe #708 Ready to Depart for Barstow
Author: BCHellman

FriendlySP Wrote:
> Palms are not
> native to the Southwest.

Not quite. There are examples of native California Palm trees on the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge in Palm Canyon, Arizona. Kofa National Wildlife Refuge is south of Quartsite, AZ and north of the SP's Phoenix line. The Phoenix line had a siding named Kofa (for King of Arizona). More info at

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/kofa/palm_canyon.html

I total agree, however, that the palm at Cadiz is not native and was planted by the railroad.

Date: 01/31/06 13:34
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pics, do they do this daily or during just the week anyway now with BNSF!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0658 seconds