Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Nostalgia & History > 2 geep 9's bracketing an F7B

Date: 03/01/06 11:23
2 geep 9's bracketing an F7B
Author: drew1946

Given the attention two geeps and a "b" unit got recently from Bay Area railfan's (including myself), how about this? SP GP9 3008, a "b"unit, and another geep paused at San Jose on a warm June night in 1966, the baggage and RPO are worked while the passengers board that night's Train #76, the "Lark".

Date: 03/01/06 12:16
Re: 2 geep 9's bracketing an F7B
Author: espeeboy

man, with those Subs on the next track over, those PC&F economy baggages behind (both integral parts of this past weekend's GGRM hospital train move) and that scarlet nose almost looking WP orange this 1966 scene, thirteen years before my birth, is a fresh Deja Vu moment! Weird but very cool. Thanks for sharing Drew...

drew1946 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given the attention two geeps and a "b" unit got
> recently from Bay Area railfan's (including
> myself), how about this? SP GP9 3008, a "b"unit,
> and another geep paused at San Jose on a warm June
> night in 1966, the baggage and RPO are worked
> while the passengers board that night's Train #76,
> the "Lark".

Date: 03/01/06 15:05
Author: jo37

SP had to be the neatest RR for passenger train loco hookups and passenger train consists.

How many cars and what types followed the geep - B - geep?

Date: 03/01/06 16:37
Author: drew1946

At that time the Lark was no longer all Pullman as it had been combined with the all coach Starlight.
I am no longer certain of what was in the consist but I would assume it was mostly cars with red stripe, two or three sleepers, an equal number of coaches, a diner and a lounge. The first car on this night was one of the so called "economy" baggage cars followed by an RPO.

If you want more exact details there is a book (I hope still in print) by Joe Shine about night trains of the Coast Route. Cars by this time were no longer assigned to one train

Date: 03/01/06 17:21
Author: alex14ramos

mmmm, that is an awesome lashup!

Thanks for sharing,
Alex Ramos

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds