Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > More Around Chicago & Milwaukee in '79

Date: 03/19/06 18:15
More Around Chicago & Milwaukee in '79
Author: GPutz

Amtrak P30CH #703 led Amtrak, ex-C&NW, long distance gallery cars from Chicago, IL, Union Station on the CR commuter run to Valparaiso, IN, on 6/11/79. A CR GP9 trailed the consist. There's more at:

http://members.trainorders.com/gputz

Gerry

Date: 03/19/06 21:12
Re: More Around Chicago & Milwaukee in '79
Author: czephyr17

Thanks for bringing back memories of the Chicago area during the time period (78-79) I lived there. A very interesting transition era for all types of passenger equipment. As for your question about which train the newly delivered Superliner coaches were used on, I believe they may have been used on some Milwaukee runs, and they may also have been used on some other shorter day runs out of Chicago that did not require dining service (since there were only coaches at the time). I suppose they could have been used to Valparaiso also as you surmise, it was certainly the most luxurious ride those commuters ever enjoyed!

Date: 03/19/06 23:15
Author: Clarence

Hey Gerry,
On your home page, what's that massive dark red brick station in the background? The one behind that Flexi-van.
I think that was gone by the time I got to Chicago in 75, not that I was paying any attention to stuff like that then.
Clarence

Date: 03/20/06 04:00
Author: GPutz

Clarence, that massive brick structure was the PRR's warehouse for LCL shipments, etc. There probably were enough bricks in it to build a small city. Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds