Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sorry, had to post more "crummy" pics

Date: 03/21/06 22:47
Sorry, had to post more "crummy" pics
Author: choochoocharlie

Hope you find these "crummy" pics interesting. Just love cabeese, especially since 99% of them are no longer with us. Just a few more photos from my FREIGHT TRAINS: FRONT TO FRED program.

1 - Santa Fe caboose #999100 on a westbound freight at Williams, Arizona on the mainline doing about 65 MPH. Train led by GP35 #3432 with an FP45 and an SD45-2.
2 - BN caboose #12560 on the end of a welded rail train led by a couple of real shiny older diesels in a heritage paint scheme. Train will switch over to the south track and back down the Peavine branch into Williams Arizona. Photo taken in August, 2002 at West Williams Junction.
3 - SP cab #4210 on the night Weyerhaeuser heading into the Eugene yard led by GP9s #3750 and #3780 on a frosty morning January 4, 1982.

Date: 03/21/06 23:00
Re: Sorry, had to post more "crummy" pics
Author: choochoocharlie

1 - DRGW caboose #01487 on the end of the OGPTA led by SP 7307 and will stop shortly at the "ice dock" at the Eugene SP yard for a crew change. Then on to Portland.
2 - Missouri Pacific caboose #13669 on the end of the EUALY (Eugene to UP Albina yard in Portland) sitting in the Eugene Depature yard waiting for a crew and an air test.
3 - Portland and Western Operation Lifesaver caboose #4 in the Albany, Oregon yard of sister operation, the Willamette and Pacific.

Will still post a few more cabeese photos then turn to flat car load photos........ C.C.Chas.

Date: 03/21/06 23:40
Author: AlwaysLate

Can someone answer me this.

Didn't ATSF try to run their cabooses cupola towards the front of the train, so if their was a collision, their would be a better chance of survival? Kind of like NS running long hood forward?

Date: 03/22/06 04:25
Author: geomel1

Great shots...thanks for posting!
My fav is the ATSF panned at speed!
My favorite ATSF photo is a caboose on a westbound from the bridge at Darling AZ with snow covered Humphreys Peak in the background...will scan it and post...if I can find it!
George

Date: 03/22/06 05:14
Author: bnsfbob

AlwaysLate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone answer me this.
>
> Didn't ATSF try to run their cabooses cupola
> towards the front of the train, so if their was a
> collision, their would be a better chance of
> survival? Kind of like NS running long hood
> forward?

I'm not aware of a preference to run them one way vs. another. Waycars were seldom worth the trouble to run around the wye. They were tacked on in whatever direction they happened to be facing. Bob

Date: 03/22/06 10:37
Author: john7968

I'm not aware either, and with the new (at the time) wide vision cabs, it was a moot point.

Date: 03/22/06 21:12
Author: ConductorAl

From what I recall reading and seeing, before the Wide Cabs came along the cupola was "supposed" to be the trailing end of the car. I think that the requirement for turning the car became moot after the railroads stopped requiring that the train number be displayed on the working caboose. According to my employee timetables, Southern Railway required the train number to be displayed on cabooses at least as late as the 1920s. Also, whenever deadhead cabooses were coupled to the train the deadhead caboose was supposed to be coupled ahead of the working one.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds