Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > Time was running out for this "Warbonnet"......

Date: 05/14/06 20:58
Time was running out for this "Warbonnet"......
Author: ATSF100WEST

......The year 1973 was a significant one for Santa Fe F-7A 300C......

Originally delivered as the 46C, she was renumbered to 300C in April/May 1971, and leased to Amtrak in June of that year. She continued working in that capacity until the delivery of the new Amtrak SDP-40F's in July, 1973.

She was soon returned to the Santa Fe, and was quickly moved to her place in line in their CF-7 rebuilding program at Cleburne, Texas. She metamorphosed into the 2543 that November, keeping her original roof contour. Eventually, she was retrofitted with A/C, and obtained the angled cab roof as a consequence. When the Santa Fe finally retired her, she was sold to the Indiana Railroad, where she survives TO THIS DAY, as their sole remaining CF-7 unit:

http://inrd.gotdns.com/inrd2543.jpg

Thanks for looking back with me!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 05/14/06 21:24
Re: Time was running out for this "Warbonnet"......
Author: NscaleMike

Great shot Bob...is that at Barstow?

Date: 05/14/06 21:30
Author: topper

NscaleMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> ...is that at Barstow?

Yes.

Date: 05/15/06 06:24
Author: DILWORTH

Super shot was it easy to get into Barstow then thanks paul...

Date: 05/15/06 08:46
Author: BarstowRick

Was it easy to get in? Yes. Still if you wore out your welcome the AT&SF bulls would show-up and ask you to get your pictures and leave.

Note the baggage car to the left. Check out the roof line. Unless I am missing something or my eyes are deceiving me that looks like exhaust stacks. Possibly an electric and/or steam generator car? From the spacing of the stacks it would appear they put a FT power plant in the car. Who knows? Someone... out there should be able to add comment. >:-)

RickH

Date: 05/15/06 11:34
Author: winstonhill

BarstowRick wrote:

Note the baggage car to the left. Check out the roof line. Unless I am missing something or my eyes are deceiving me that looks like exhaust stacks. Possibly an electric and/or steam generator car? From the spacing of the stacks it would appear they put a FT power plant in the car. Who knows? Someone... out there should be able to add comment. >:-)

Looks to me like the stacks might be on an engine on a parallel track behind the baggage car.

Winston Hill

Date: 05/15/06 17:02
Author: Evan_Werkema

BarstowRick Wrote:

> Note the baggage car to the left. Check out the
> roof line. Unless I am missing something or my
> eyes are deceiving me that looks like exhaust
> stacks. Possibly an electric and/or steam
> generator car?

The stacks and the vent in the side are certainly consistent with Santa Fe's steam generator cars. Compare with these views of steam generator car 139:

http://atsf.railfan.net/sg/

Date: 05/15/06 18:30
Re: Steam Generator Car #134......

......was built from baggage car 3916 in April, 1970. (Info from chapter on the Santa Fe's "Steam Generator Cars", pps. 59-61, "Santa Fe's Diesel Fleet" by Joe McMillan, published by Chatham Publishing Company, 1st printing, April 1975; LofC CCN 74-17816.)

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 05/16/06 03:49
Author: sparky52t

Just curious. What were those two steel things with the holes sticking out next to the number boards? It looks like something was attached at one time or another.

Date: 05/16/06 08:22
For sparky52t......

......those were "lifting rings", used for the rigging of a "Big Hook", after a derailment.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds