Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Nostalgia & History > Minturn before it was just a place to store cars

Date: 07/11/06 22:25
Minturn before it was just a place to store cars
Author: xtra1188w

Here's a few shots of Minnern that I took back in May 1975, There wasn't much in the way of trains moving about, but since Minnern was so interesting to me anyways, and since back in 1975, I was mainly just interested in the steam locos that used to call Minnern home, I didn't make any effort to go find the motive power of the 1975 era. This is something that I now deeply regret, and I try today not to make that same sort of mistake.

There was another discussion a year or two ago on Minnern, and I tried to scan and post images from these slides at that time. Back then though I just had a basic flatbed scanner that really wasn't designed to scan slides, and I couldn't scan these old slides good enough to post here. I've since upgraded with an Epson 4870, and Adobe PS Elements software, and getting good images from my slides is not a problem anymore.

Oh yeah, when I was one of the locals from and living in the Tennessee Pass area way back when, Minturn was only spelled "Minturn", the correct local pronunciation was "Minnern". Just like the Rio Grande was the Rye-a Grande, not the Reo Grande in pronunciation, any other way that was used by outsiders mainly, and this clearly marked them as "flatlander furriners"

And now I am one of "them", a "flat land furriner". I might slip up and call the Rye-a Grande the Reo Grande, but even yet today, I still know that Minnern is Minnern.

Con

Date: 07/11/06 22:31
Re: Minturn before it was just a place to store cars

Here are three more, there will be only be 1 more to follow these three.

Con

Date: 07/11/06 22:36
Author: NH2006

Nicve collection of pictures Con!

Now back to our regularly scheduled rumors that the TP is reopening....
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1197894

Date: 07/11/06 22:38

Last one. I trust that most of you will enjoy these pictures. From what I've read here and on the Yahoo DRGW list mirror on DRGW.net, I know that there are a few of y'all that can probably use these in your model railroad layouts. If someone wants to repost these on the Yahoo group site, please go ahead, I don't subscribe to the Yahoo groups anymore because of the SPAM factor, and other shady dealings that I've heard done on these group sites.

Con

Date: 07/12/06 06:56
Author: Waybiller

xtra1188w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yeah, when I was one of the locals from and
> living in the Tennessee Pass area way back when,
> Minturn was only spelled "Minturn", the correct
> local pronunciation was "Minnern". Just like the
> Rio Grande was the Rye-a Grande, not the Reo
> Grande in pronunciation, any other way that was
> used by outsiders mainly, and this clearly marked
> them as "flatlander furriners"
>
> And now I am one of "them", a "flat land
> furriner". I might slip up and call the Rye-a
> Grande the Reo Grande, but even yet today, I still
> know that Minnern is Minnern.
>
> Con

Now what did you have to go stir up trouble for, Con? Everyone I know who worked for the DRGW calls it the 'Reo' Grande. As best I can tell, those who called it the 'Rye-a' were those in Southern Colorado. Denver answered the phones as 'Reo'. Of course, however much they pretend otherwise, Denver is a flatland town.

Just as long as the 'e' is silent in Grande, we can all get along.

Date: 06/26/17 08:54
Author: dan

thnaks con, miss you!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0689 seconds