Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hollister Local, May 1992

Date: 08/12/06 23:08
Hollister Local, May 1992
Author: drew1946

Just a couple of shots of the Hollister Local in May 1992 as the GP9 era down there was about to end. #3347 working with ex-commute geep #3188 are switching the now closed Tri-Valley plant and then are seen over next to the depot ready to head back to San Jose. These may have been shot on two different days.

Date: 08/12/06 23:32
Re: Hollister Local, May 1992
Author: TonyJ

Drew! That second shot is outstanding! Thanks. - Tony J.

Date: 08/12/06 23:55

Thanks Tony, I appreciate it.

Date: 08/13/06 08:57
Author: samreeves

Track looks better in those days too. I think it was good for 20mph.

—
Sam Reeves Photography
Pacific Grove, California
Website http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 08/13/06 09:13

Well Sam, fourteen years ago we, and a lot of other things, all looked better.

Date: 08/13/06 10:39
Author: BarstowRick

Where were you guys when I lived in Hollister? I do appreciate the pictures you've shared of the Hollister Local.

As a kid growing up in Hollister, I never had a camera. Later, I would go to visit my dad, a resident of Hollister for over 40 years. In the later years the locals were sporadic as compared to a time when you could set your watch by it's appearance in town. Every time I wanted to run down to the station and take a picture I would discover I was either out of film, the batteries didn't work or I forgot to take my camera with me. And of course those times when it snuck into town without our hearing it.

You captured the essence of the local...hands down. What does that mean "Hands down"?

RickH

Date: 08/13/06 18:04
Author: CarolVoss

Our good friends Ron and Diane Rodrigues are natives of Hollister and Ron lovingly refers to the train as "the Bolsa Flyer". Cracks me up. Train crawls down the track at about 5 mph at best. BTW, there is a movement afoot to build an interesting planned community next to those rails and Ron, who is a former San Benito County supervisor, was one of the locals brought down to the company headquarters to view the plans (some months ago, BTW)---Ron was impressed. Surprised. and impressed. So stay tuned.
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 06/19/18 19:19
Author: OldHeadRailroader

Did the GP-9s and SD-9s last into UP late 90s? Then they started disappearing for good in 2000s on so many railroads. CP/Soo, BN, NS, etc.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/21/18 01:08
Author: EricSP

I remember seeing a few SP GP9s working after the merger. I very rarely ever saw an SD9, even when they were common.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds