Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Nostalgia & History > September '69 SP Trip, part 3

Date: 09/08/06 22:29
September '69 SP Trip, part 3
Author: drew1946

These are shots of arriving and departing San Jose, through the depot on track #5. At one time track #4 was the arrival and departure track for non-commute Westbound trains but by this time the Daylight was the only true intercity train left on the Coast. The Del Monte was a combination commute & intercity train by then

First shot is arriving in SJ, the track diverging to the left is the freight bypass.

The second is on the curve going over the Alameda. The Ice Palace, Shark tank or whatever is now located to the right.

The third shot is as the train crosses over to the West bound main as it crosses over Julian St.
The front of the train is just about at the Lenzen St. crossing. The large building on the left is gone as is the Richmond-Chase cannery just beyond it. Above the train to the right is a Boeing 727 departing San Jose with its then characteristic smoke trail. At this time it is more than likely a PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines)flight. Unless you are at least over forty you have no recollection of the attire worn by PSA stewardesses (they were not the more politically correct "flight attendants" yet)which was the epitome of the saying "sex sells". Too bad the SP didn't try the same approach.

To be continued

I just did some quick math in my head--37 years ago this month!

Date: 09/08/06 23:13
Re: September '69 SP Trip, part 3
Author: F40PHR231

Great photos, this is probably exactly what I would've shot had I been around then (which I do today), and are the "on-board" type of photos I'm most interested in -- Glad you did to share with the rest of future generations.

Thank you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.102 seconds