Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > September '69 SP trip Part 11 (the end)

Date: 09/11/06 07:40
September '69 SP trip Part 11 (the end)
Author: drew1946

Above Walong, passing SP SD9 #3954 and the SD39 #5312. Then the last shot I took that day as #52 raced South of Mojave passing another freight and its caboose.

This is the last posting for this trip.

Date: 09/11/06 09:24
Re: September '69 SP trip Part 11 (the end)
Author: SP6190

The good old days. We had a lot of fun times riding 51 and 52 between Glendale and Bakersfield, and all for $7.70 round trip. Such a deal!

Date: 09/11/06 09:26

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but as I recall, that whole trip was less than $40 including the two tickets on the Peninsula.

Date: 09/11/06 12:17
Author: mwbridgwater

Thanks, Drew. It was nice seeing so many shots of scarlet noses with road numbers and no "SP".

Mark

Date: 09/11/06 12:34
Author: Nitehostler

Surely some wonderful memories in your photographic essay Drew...I know that it took a great deal of time for you to accomplish this here, so thank you. Really adds to the overall expereince when you have dates & places.

Tom

Date: 09/11/06 17:08
Author: MacBeau

Drew:
What a wonderful excursion to LA and back—a knock out sequence. Also, I know what it took to scan, crop, spot, and post all those great photos, so for all that work on our behalf, thank you.
—Mac

Date: 09/11/06 19:09
Author: bradleymckay

Drew: Excellent stuff! Nice exposure and nothing out of focus. The last shot, with the freight in the siding south of Mojave, looks like Oban...

AM

Date: 09/11/06 20:36

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drew: Excellent stuff! Nice exposure and nothing
> out of focus. The last shot, with the freight in
> the siding south of Mojave, looks like Oban...
>
>
> AM

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

That trip over the Tehachapi and thru Mojave was, at that point in my life--I was 22, only the second time I had ever been thru the area. I was 9 the first time and spent two days in the Tehachapi hospital with pnumonia on the way to the Grand Canyon. Thus, I appreciate any comments about locations.

After the train left Bakersfield, where I had been too many times, I was kinda lost. My knowledge of the area railroad wise was almost nill.

Date: 09/11/06 20:57
Author: BCHellman

There are some fine photos found amongst your trip, especially the ones where there was a man in the hole.

By the way, did any of the train crew kick you out of the vestibule?

Date: 09/12/06 01:55
Author: FGS

Drew,

Like the rest have already said, thanks so much. Really enjoyed seeing the trip through your camera. Great memories.

Jimmy B

Date: 09/12/06 03:08
Author: topper

BCHellman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> By the way, did any of the train crew kick you out
> of the vestibule?

Ya mean, just kick him out? Like a mail sack? Ouch!

Thanks for posting them, Drew. It's the railroad as I fondly remember it.

Date: 09/12/06 04:12

I guess it was good timing, but all the crews I rode with on that trip were "railfan friendly" and all but one of the rear end brakemen were guys in their early and mid-20's, as I was, working the extra board.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.076 seconds