Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some Military Gear On Flat Cars:

Date: 01/08/07 00:37
Some Military Gear On Flat Cars:
Author: fjc

These photos were taken by my friend Phillip Villalobos, he lent them to me to scan so I can model some military flat car loads and I didn' think he'd mind my posting them on Trainorders for others to see of course his stipulation was to make sure I copyrighted his images.

Here we have an cut of flats with some M109's self propelled Howitzer two per car, not sure of the exact location, but we both feel it's around Newhall Yard on the north end near the FMC plant, could be wrong perhaps someone may know better. What makes me say this is the white carryall Budda (the yardmaster) used to drive around quite a bit thru the yard and that's where my conclusion comes from, could be wrong could be right.

The second photo is of an M88 recovery vehicle, thanks to Larry for waking me up so I could correct the caption for everyone.

Date: 01/08/07 00:53
Some Military Gear On Flat Cars And Tank Cars

Next we have some back up support gear on flat cars such as a tanker with tractor, and another what looks like some type of flat bed type truck with flat bed to it with a tarp laying over the back.

Last butnot last is a DODX tank car, mostly likely filled with jet fuel or some other type of lubricant, maybe even water.

Enjoy and thanks to Phil V. for allowing me to use these photos and posting them on TO, soon you'll see him on here as he'll soon be a member.

Date: 01/08/07 01:28
Re: Some Military Gear On Flat Cars:
Author: larry020

Nice photos, thanks.

It's been awhile, but let me make a guess, or two.

First photo has some howitzers.

Second photo is of a recovery vehicle.

Fourth photo of the tank car is interesting. Friction bearing trucks, and a build date of 7-49. The red placard seems to indicate something more along the lines of fuel than water. I also liked the way Phil framed that shot with the tops of all those rails. Above the right side of the tank car there are some letters on the hillside. Would this indicate a city, or high school prank?

Larry from EBMES

Date: 01/08/07 01:32

Crap, I forgot to put the M88 Recovery Vehicle, I was falling asleep at the keyboard, and the M109's I shouldn't assume everyone knows what they are, yes self propelled Howitzers.

Thanks Larry for the update, I will fix it, more photos coming shortly, about 8 more.

larry020 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos, thanks.
>
> It's been awhile, but let me make a guess, or
> two.
>
> First photo has some howitzers.
>
> Second photo is of a recovery vehicle.
>

Date: 01/08/07 02:13
Some Military Gear On Flat Cars And Tank Cars

Here we have some flat bed trucks on a DODX flat car, shot in 1983.

Next photo is some unidentified type of trucks, which look like they have the capacity to carry loose items such as dirt, etc.

Date: 01/08/07 02:15

First photo is of a lowboy type tractor trailer rig, for carrying tanks.

Next we have a tractor trailer rig, with a dodge pickup on the rear of the car.

Date: 01/08/07 02:21

We have a truck with a tarp covered rear, with a Dodge pick-up with a trailer on a UP flat car.

The final photo is a wrecker and a box type bob tail vehicle.

That's all folks, thanks to Phil Villalobos for sharing these images with and allowing me to post them here on TO, this will aid in my endeavor to make an HO scale military train, proa

Date: 01/08/07 04:35
Author: pocahontastm

Looks like the DODX tank car has friction bearings. Aren't those to be ran with restrictions ?

Date: 01/08/07 07:54
Author: UPNW2-1083

larry020 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Above the right side of the tank car
> there are some letters on the hillside. Would
> this indicate a city, or high school prank?
>
> Larry from EBMES

The letters say CALICO for Calico ghost town in the hills above Yermo.-BMT

Date: 01/08/07 09:08
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

i believe the date that friction bearing were banned was July 1, 1994..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds