Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > SD45T-2s on passenger train?

Date: 05/02/07 22:40
SD45T-2s on passenger train?
Author: choochoocharlie

Yes, it's true. It happened when 4449 cracked a flue in Klamath Falls, Oregon back in May of 1981 on the return trip to Portland from the opening of the California State Railroad Museum. SP T-2s #9372 and 9195 lead the special train on May 17, 1981 coming off of the Salmon Creek trestle and down into Oakridge. Second photo was taken earlier as the train came downhill over Salt Creek Trestle. (Try and get that shot now.)

The fire was killed on 4449 and the offending flue plugged and she was fired up again. SP SD45 towed the steaming 4449 down to Eugene. The next day, 4449 pulled a small freight under her own power back to Portland.

Date: 05/02/07 22:42
Re: SD45T-2s on passenger train?

4449 photos at KFalls and Salt Creek Trestle with an SP bay window caboose shrouded in steam behind the tool car.

Date: 05/02/07 22:44

Photos of 4449 at Eugene, Halsey (when the SP station was in its original location) and near Jefferson on the short freight run to Portland.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 05/02/07 22:52

Here you can see the short freight a bit better............ C.C.Chas.

Date: 05/02/07 23:38
Author: daniel3197

Lesson number 1 here always take photos of any **diesels** that operate around any steam excursion.
The odds are that the TRULY historic photos will likely involve those diesels MORE than the headline grabbing steam locomotive.
I wonder where the SP 9372 and the SP 9195 are today ?????
--- Daniel

Date: 05/03/07 03:38
Author: ctillnc

I was on the NRHS safety crew for a Southern steam excursion Atlanta-Chattanooga-Atlanta around 1981. 4501 broke down on the return leg. A GP-35 and GP-38 from Forestville Yard in Rome pulled the train home. I'm sure something similar happened many times on other Southern excursions during the steam program.

Date: 05/03/07 04:51
Author: driver

Looking at Salt Creek trestle its a shame that its not as clear of trees as that today, I wonder how long it will be before the shot is gone forever. Not long looking at these. :-(

Date: 05/03/07 05:36
4449 on a freight
Author: ssloansjca

Was this SP's last steam freight run?

Date: 05/03/07 08:13
Re: 4449 on a freight
Author: wingomann

It's funny how times change. When those pictures were taken it was tragic that "modern" SD45T-2's replaced the 4449. But luckily some of the railfans took pictures of the train anyway. Now those pictures are unique and seeing a SP painted SD45 is rarer than seeing the 4449.

Railfans want to see what they saw when they were young. I'm 48 and my railfanning focus has been first generation power. But as I get older I'm more excited to see SD40's or SD45's. In the long run I wonder how many of them will be saved in museums. I know CSRM has a SD45T-2 but most historical groups are still focusing on first generation power. Hopefully a few more will be saved before it's too late.

Date: 05/03/07 15:31
Author: TCnR

driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at Salt Creek trestle its a shame that its
> not as clear of trees as that today, I wonder how
> long it will be before the shot is gone forever.
> Not long looking at these. :-(

In the 70's there was an ice storm in that valley, all the trees were laid down in the direction of the wind like matchsticks in a box, simply too heavy and crash they went. The view was nice and clear until the bushes filled in on the south side and then something happened (clear cut or a fire break, maybe harvested) and it opened up again. Suppose we should wait for the price of raw logs to increase and somebody will take them out, again.

Date: 05/04/07 10:35
Author: driver

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the 70's there was an ice storm in that valley,
> all the trees were laid down in the direction of
> the wind like matchsticks in a box, simply too
> heavy and crash they went. The view was nice and
> clear until the bushes filled in on the south side
> and then something happened (clear cut or a fire
> break, maybe harvested) and it opened up again.
> Suppose we should wait for the price of raw logs
> to increase and somebody will take them out,
> again.

Or hope for another ice storm.

Thanks for the history.

Steve.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds