Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP&S C415 help needed

Date: 08/20/07 14:30
SP&S C415 help needed
Author: dcmkris

Hello all,

I'm trying to put together some information needed for a modeling project on the C415. I recall on here some time ago that someone posted PICS of the SP&S C415's. Can anyone help me find those PICS,or any SP&S C415 PICS?

Keep in mind I've been on TO since the mid 90's so the PICS may have been on here that long ago, my memory sucks!

PS:I forgot to mention I used the search function but couldn't come up with anything.

Kris

Date: 08/20/07 19:47
Re: SP&S C415 help needed
Author: roustabout

I'm pretty sure I have a picture or two of them right after they were purchased. I'll have to look through my 'collection.'

Roustabout out

Date: 08/20/07 20:31
Author: JDLX

Kris-

I have one picture of an SP&S C-415 up on my McCloud Rails website.

http://www.trainweb.org/mccloudrails/LocoImages/Loco-C415.html

I hope this helps you out at least some...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 08/20/07 21:03
Author: Amtkrd4man

Here is the SP&S 100

Date: 08/21/07 15:47
Author: truxtrax

Amtkrd4man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the SP&S 100

When it worked as the Wishram Switch.

Butch,,,,,,,,not a pleasant ride in the summer!

Date: 08/21/07 17:15
Author: TCnR

Amtkrd4man Wrote:
> Here is the SP&S 100

Interesting cars in the background. The C-415 styling doesn't look right, but that is what it looked like. Seems like it needs more louvres or something.

Date: 08/21/07 20:23

Here's the 101 leading a freight through Salem, 2/23/69.

Date: 08/21/07 20:24

And a couple more of the same train

Date: 08/21/07 20:27
Author: rehunn

It's amazing but between the trucks and the cab height they look totally different than the SP's plus
they look quite a bit longer (optical illusion).

Date: 08/21/07 20:36
Author: Steamjocky

What kind of trucks are those? They look like something you'd see from Canada.

JDE

Date: 08/21/07 23:40
Author: topper

Steamjocky Wrote:

> What kind of trucks are those?

Known as "Hi-Ad" for High Adhesion, Alco offered them as an option in two-axle and three-axle versions.

> They look like something you'd see from Canada.

Like, under an "eh" unit?

Date: 08/22/07 13:49
Author: M-420

Steamjocky Wrote:
> What kind of trucks are those? They look like
> something you'd see from Canada.
>
> JDE

Nope, those are all American. The Hi Ad truck was Alco’s attempt to design a 4 axel truck that would have improved adhesion over the old ARR Type B truck. In Steinbrenner’s Alco Centennial Remembrance Book (required reading for any Alco fan) he offers up the results of some testing that the New York Central did to compare the performance of the 4 axel 3000 HP units of the day. They tested a Hi Ad equipped C430, a U30B and a GP40 pulling various loads on different grades. The results of the testing did not show significant improvement in adhesion for the Hi Ad truck.

MLW made their own attempt at a new truck design with their four axel ZWT truck (for “Zero Weight Transfer”). This truck could be found under the M420, M420TR, HR412 in Canada and the M420TR2 and M424 in Mexico.

Interesting photos of the SP&S C415’s. The shots in Salem were likely taken right after delivery while the Wishram shot was taken some time later. The give away on that is the exhaust stack. As delivered, the SP&S units had the stack that was bent and attached to the cab. This made the cab warmer then usual and the railway quickly modified the stack to a straight version. Not all C415’s were delivered this way. The RI and SP versions were and neither of those railroads ever modified their units.

Nifty little buggers.

Brian

Date: 08/22/07 19:15
Author: 830-east

Also note that it had an orange flashers on both sides. I don't think that lasted long?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds