Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Nostalgia & History > BNSF Redlands Branch

Date: 11/28/07 11:58
BNSF Redlands Branch
Author: fredkharrison

Wile visiting my family in Redlands over the Thanksgiving Holiday I took the time to check out some old memories. Three railroads once served Redlands in the heyday of the naval orange industry. As that industry declined, Pacific Electric went first, then the Southern Pacific, and now it appears the Santa Fe rails will soon be out as well.

When I was a boy in the 50's ATSF ran excursion trains to Sylvan Park over by the University of Redlands. When I was there on 11/24/2007 I was shocked to find the BNSF in the process of being pulled up
between the I-10 overpass and University Street.

To show locations I have uploaded a map.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

[img::]https://cdn.trainorders.com/attachments/thumbs/238000/BNSF-01a.jpg[/img]

Date: 11/28/07 12:02
Re: BNSF Redlands Branch

I followed the BNSF rails east and found that they ended at Judson Street. Palm trees growing up in the tracks made it clear no train had been along here for a number of years.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/28/07 12:06

I followed the Redlands loop as far as the old toilet factory (now a school) north of Mentone near the wash. A gate prevented further travel this direction. The loop was discontinued in the '70's when a flood severely damaged the bridge over the Santa Ana Wash.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/28/07 12:11
Author: BCHellman

fredkharrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was there on 11/24/2007 I was
> shocked to find the BNSF in the process of being
> pulled up
> between the I-5 overpass and University Street.
>

Do you mean I-10, the San Bernardino Freeway?

>The loop was discontinued in the '70's when a flood severely damaged the bridge over the Santa Ana Wash.

The Loop was discontinued in the late 50's or early 60's when it was severed between Highland Jct. on the main to Del Rosa. Later, it was cut to Patton where they use to spot lumber loads until the flood wiped out the bridge. They were still using the line to Patton when I was living in Highland until 1979.

Date: 11/28/07 12:13

The Santa Fe Station at Redlands is one of the most beautiful depots around. All of my life it has been a pleasant reminder of times long past when passenger traffic once came to Redlands. Palm trees growing up beside the rails tell me it hasn't even seen a freight train in quite awhile. As of 2004 BNSF traffic only came as far as Nevada on the way west end of Redlands.

There has been talk of commuter trains and bike trails, but I don't know what the future of this old line will be.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/28/07 12:15

BCHellman Wrote: Do you mean I-10, the San Bernardino Freeway?

Reply: Thanks for catching my error.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/28/07 12:34
Author: RD10747

Nice map and discussion...Our property backs up to the south side
of the 'loop' at MP 19.4..this is just west of (on the map), of
Palm, just south of Highland..our deed still shows as our north
boundary..'AT&SF Ry R/W 50' wide..of course it has been gone since
about 1982...thanx. photos were great...

Date: 11/28/07 12:56
Author: missedcall

Do you, or any one know when the last train went to the downtown redlands grain facility ?

Date: 11/28/07 15:32
Author: gp60m122

The last time I saw anything on the Redlands ATSF Branch was about 2 months ago when the BNSF appeared to service the line in the small hours of Thursday and Sunday mornings often even using one of the remote control SD40=2s! That would have been hard on the tracks! I think I saw them one Sunday morning switching a lumber yard at Victoria Avenue just beyond Tippicanoe. As I understand it Metrolink now owns the line . About a mile of track from San Bernardino was relayed with concrete ties and welded rail .Whenever I saw a train traffic was usually lumber, steel in Gons and I think Chlorine in tank cars , usually about 6 or seven cars max but more often three or four.

Andy G

Date: 11/28/07 15:36
Author: mcfflyer

I've always wondered why Santa Fe built such an impressive station on a loop of a branch line.

Back in 1967, Orange Empire Trolley Museum (as it was named back then) ran an excursion out around the loop to Del Rosa, which I was told was the next to last train to Del Rosa before the Santa Fe pulled it back to Patton, I believe. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera that day.

Lee Hower
Sacramento

Date: 11/28/07 22:46
Author: 90mac

The last time I was there was riding the last SCRTD bus to Yucaipa,back when RTD called the Santa Fe depot home.
TAH

Date: 11/29/07 11:02
Author: ProAmtrak

That station still looks brand spankin' new! Nice job on whoever or whatever is still keeping it in excellent shape!

Date: 11/29/07 16:14

ProAmtrak Wrote:
That station still looks brand spankin' new! Nice
job on whoever or whatever is still keeping it in
excellent shape!

Reply:
Close examination will show that the windows are boarded up on the Redlands Station. Several panes of glass have been broken out. The materials used in building this structure are superior to those used in many stations. This is one factor that has caused it to better weather the years. Someone definitely is keeping the property clean.

The Redlands Station is a typical example of Beaux Arts Classicism, which embraces the styles used in the United States from 1890-1930 and in Redlands from about 1908-1920. This style projected the dignified image required for public buildings. Popularized by the "Great White City" built for the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, the style features symmetrical, balanced facades; classical columns and porticos.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/29/07 22:57
Author: mcfflyer

Fred, have you any idea why Santa Fe built such a substantial station on what was a little branch? Even when I rode that excursion in 1967 when I was 15, I thought that station was huge.

Lee Hower
Sacramento

Date: 11/30/07 01:12

mcflyer Wrote:
Fred, have you any idea why Santa Fe built such a
substantial station on what was a little branch?
Even when I rode that excursion in 1967 when I was
15, I thought that station was huge.

mcreply answers:
Redlands has been a roost for the wealthy from its onset. Of course, the railroad depot would have to fit the setting of the town.

BTW, the Santa Fe Station, built in 1909, was scheduled for demolition. Architect Leon Armantrout and four friends bought the property, and now a major part of Redlands’ heritage has been preserved.

National Register: 91001535 (10/29/1991)
Redlands Santa Fe Depot District
Roughly bounded by Stuart Ave., N. 5th St., Redlands Blvd., Eureka St. and the SFRR tracks, Redlands
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
Architectural Style: Late Victorian, Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals
Area of Significance: Architecture, Industry, Commerce, Transportation
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Owner: Private , Local Gov't
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Industry/Processing/Extraction
Historic Sub-function: Business, Organizational, Processing Site, Specialty Store, Warehouse
Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Current Sub-function: Business, Professional, Specialty Store

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0887 seconds