Home Open Account Help 169 users online

Nostalgia & History > PRR/PC Ore Jennies

Date: 03/20/08 18:13
PRR/PC Ore Jennies
Author: Nictd1000

So far I've found that out of the PRR's 2000+ ore cars that were in service, only 4 are known (to me) to have survived.

PRR 15555 G38 former PC 500543 Pennsy Railcar Restorations, LLC

PRR 13182 G39A former PC 500487 RR Museum of PA Strasburg, PA

PRR ????? ??? as PC 501473 Altoona Memorial Railroads Museum, Altoona, PA

PRR ????? ??? as PC 501003 Mahoning Valley Railroad Heritage Association Youngstown, OH

Anyone know the classes and PRR numbers of these other two? Also, are there any more of these cars lurking about in the deadlines or elsewhere?

Ryan

Date: 03/20/08 18:41
Re: PRR/PC Ore Jennies
Author: pennsy3750

There was a pair of them, in remarkably well-preserved PC markings, in the remains of the yard near where East Altoona engine terminal once stood. Both are now gone. I do not know if they were cut up, simply moved and I haven't found them again, or if one of them became the Railcar Restorations car.

I did photograph at least one of them before they disappeared but I don't have the photos here at school, nor do I remember the numbers.

Also, I don't think Altoona RRers Memorial Museum has one, unless NS is hanging onto it for them someplace back in the yards.

Date: 03/20/08 18:46

Here's a link to a photo of the car I found on rrpicturearchives.net..it's been acouple years since I was there last but I don't recall where this car was either.

Ryan

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=952582

Date: 03/20/08 18:48

Upon consulting my notes, I found a reference dated 11/16/2003 saying I took photos of the two cars at that time. Unfortunately, the car numbers didn't get into my notes. After a quick look in Volumes 2 and 3 of the Color Guide to PRR Freight and Px Equpment, I'm fairly certain the two cars I saw were either G39 or G39A, not the G38.

Date: 03/20/08 18:50

Interesting! I hope that these 2 cars could still be out there. I know if we ever get our museum off the group I'd be in the market for one for our collection.

Ryan

www.nwirps.org

Yahoo group NickelPlateRoad624

Date: 03/20/08 19:34
Author: SCL1517

Didn't these cars run late into the CR era? When did they all finally fall out of service? I seem to remember them being used to haul "dirty dirt" in NJ fairly late in the game.

Date: 03/20/08 20:03
Author: CR6079

The car here in Youngstown is CR 501003 class G39A.

Date: 03/21/08 01:31
Author: EDSTANLEY

SCL1517 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Didn't these cars run late into the CR era? When
did they all finally fall out of service? I seem
to remember them being used to haul "dirty dirt"
in NJ fairly late in the game.

A shipper in Danville IL used to receive the PRR ore jennies
right up until they were retired (or the plant closed) in
the early 90's. Most still were lettered for PRR or PC but
some did have the CR logos.

The cars would be seen at the Big Four yard (Avon)
on the 'rip' tracks being serviced, several would
usually be spotted there.

Date: 03/21/08 08:17

Thanks for the info on the Youngstown car. Here's a photo I found online of it in March, 07..however I don't know that photographers name or I'd post that as well.

The last photos I've seen of these cars in service was in 1994 on dirt trains in New Jersey. There is a steel plant in Pennsylvania..possibly harrisburg that owned a few ore jennies for inter-mill service.

PC 500543 (PRR 15555)was in Rose yard up until 2006 when it was purchased and restored.

PC 500487 (PRR 13182) was donated by Conrail in 5/1999, repainted to PRR in 2006.

CR 501003 is still in Conrail paint, in storage in Youngstown, OH

Ryan

Date: 03/21/08 11:37

According to notes from the PRR Hist & Tech Society. On the 2002 annual tour they visited Pennsylvania Steel Technologies in Steelton, PA. In a portion of the tour notes they talk about some PRR ore cars..

"Parked somewhere around the plant is a string of ex-PRR G38 ore gondolas with lids on them. These are used for controlled bloom cooling. Lettering appears to be solid rust with no remnants of PRR/PC/CR lettering or paint visible that I could see."

Anyone ever see these cars? Have Photos?

Ryan

Date: 03/21/08 11:53

I sent an email last night to a friend who is an NS conductor in Altoona. He tells that the ore jenny pictured in Altoona outside the museum fence is in fact still there.

After looking at the pic linked above and thinking about it a while, I'm fairly certain that car is one of the two I shot in 2003 in East Altoona. It was lettered as a G39G car, but my PRR resources say that PRR built on G39 and G39A classes. Maybe the G39G wasa PC or Conrail mod? I will try to find out.

Date: 03/22/08 19:07

I'm not familiar with a G39G..maybe it was G39B with some of the paint flaking off?

Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0618 seconds