Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Nostalgia & History > Historical PRR Indiana Note Today

Date: 04/30/08 07:40
Historical PRR Indiana Note Today
Author: wabash2800

I saw this posted on the PennsyWest Yahoo group and since we were indirectly discussing this a few weeks ago, I thought I'd post it here.

"April 30, 1933 The Pennsylvania Railroad abandons the former Chicago Indiana &
Eastern trackage between Matthews and Converse IN."

(From Matthews it ran down to Muncie.)

I understand the rest of the line was abandoned in or shortly after the Conrail era. There are a nifty pair of thru truss bridges from this line in McCullough (spelling?) Park in Muncie next to a C&O bridge and the NS New Castle District (former NKP and very active).

Date: 04/30/08 10:06
Re: Historical PRR Indiana Note Today
Author: csxt4617

I've been thru Converse, there's tracks there, must be the ex-C&O of Indiana :)
Interesting grade crossing signals, in the middle of the street (you don't
see that much anymore) You could see where the PRR went thru in the same area too.

Date: 05/01/08 06:49
Author: CIOR

Yes, the PRR's Matthew Branch split there, and ran down and crossed the C&O at Fowlerton, then again at Drew (north side of Muncie).
The line wasn't part of the final system plan from Muncie to Matthews and was removed at the C&O connection north. Part of the track stayed down until roughly 1987, a mile long segment that finally a farmer removed. North of Stockport, I have no clue why it lasted because it was an isolated segment with no use. Just left by the scrap crew.

Date: 05/01/08 13:22
Author: wabash2800

How did the PRR service this line after it was cut at Matthews? They must have crossed another PRR south of Converse?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0259 seconds