Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Red River Electric Logging Line

Date: 12/26/08 23:43
The Red River Electric Logging Line
Author: FGS

In a thread about the Fruit Growers Supply company a post mentioned the Red River Lumber Company's Electric logging railroad. So as not to "Highjack" the FGS thread I thought a new thread was needed. This is an article that appeared in the October 1927 issue of "The Timberman" which was a western lumber trade publication of the era that might shed some light on that line.

THE WEST’S FIRST ELECTRIC LOGGING RAILROAD

Public interest in steam railroad electrification in recent years has centered upon the spectacular electrification so successfully accomplished by a number of the trunk line railroads. Of equal significance, but of less prominence, has been the electrification carried on by many of the short line railroads. Unique among the latter is the electrification of the logging railroad of The Red River Lumber Co.

The center of operations of this company is at Westwood, in northeastern California. Over 25, 000 loaded cars of logs are transported each season to the mill at Westwood from Chester over 17 miles of standard gauge road. In addition to the main line there are also four passing tracks, totaling approximately 6000 feet in length. The electrification program of this company included the passing tracks in addition to the main line.

A most comprehensive analysis of the many factor involved was made before this electrification was adopted. The basic aim of the entire study was the production of lumber with the minimum cost of operation. The merits and limitations of the several possible systems of electrification applicable to this property were analyzed and compared with steam operation.

It is expected that the changeover of this road from steam to electric operation will be completed this fall. The principal electrical equipment involved consists of two 60-ton 1500-volt standard Baldwin-Westinghouse locomotives and a two-unit 1000 KW 1500-volt automatic substation.

Trains of loaded cars are to be made up and delivered to the electrified main line by steam and diesel-electric locomotives. As an overhead system would interfere with the switching of logging equipment and the like, mounted on flat cars, steam or diesel-electric locomotives will also handle the trains from the transfer at the Westwood end of the electrification. Empty cars to be returned to the woods will be handled in a similar manner.

The main line of the railroad is laid with 80 pound rails, is rock ballasted and in excellent condition. Speeds of 30 to 34 miles per hour are attained except on sharp curves. Numerous grades and curves are encountered, the maximum grade being 2.3 percent, with more than four miles of 1.85 percent compensated grade against load. The maximum curvature encountered is 10 degrees. A condensed profile of the line is shown herewith. The electrical equipment is designed to deliver 160 loaded cars to Westwood in 2 working shifts of approximately 10 1/2 hours each, allowing 20 minutes at the end of each one way trip for dropping one train and coupling to another. The skeleton cars operated on the line are standard railroad equipment for logging service and which approximate 27,000 pounds without load. The cars are loaded with from 7,500 to 8,000 feet of logs, and average 90,000 pounds gross.

It has been the practice in the past to keep the main line in operation only nine months of the year, operations being suspended during the three months winter period. The mill, however, was kept in operation as usual during this period by accumulating a winter’s supply of logs at Westwood. A new plan has been inaugurated which calls for decking the winter’s supply of logs at Chester and keeping the main line in operation to supply the mill with logs throughout the entire year.

The decision to deck the winter’s supply of logs at Chester, rather than at Westwood, was reached for the following reasons:

1. During decking season as high as 190 cars per day are hauled and thus decking at Chester it will not be necessary to handle this peak to Westwood.
2. A car shortage, which is normally experienced during the decking season will be material alleviated by the elimination of the roundtrip from Chester to Westwood on 400,000 feet per day that is decked.
3. By storing logs at Chester it will be possible to haul all of the winter’s supply, for the season of 1927, on the electrified road.
4. The presence of work trains on the main line between Chester and Westwood seriously interferes with hauling operations and a great deal of congestion can be overcome by decking at Chester.
The only apparent disadvantage in decking at Chester is that it will be necessary to keep the main line open during the winter period. However, it is not contemplated that this will involve serious difficulties.

The Red River Lumber Co. owns steam and hydro-electric power rights with a total capacity of approximately 16,000 KVA. However, power is leased to the Pacific Gas & Electric Co. and the agreement with them limits the amount of power that may be allocated to the requirements of the railroad to 1500 KW, that is, there is this much power available in excess of the present total demand. No expansion of the present mill capacity is contemplated. Therefore, the yearly cost of power for the electrification has been calculated as an extra expense of only $1,000.

The company’s three phase, 60 cycle, 33,000 volt power line passes the railroad at Almanor Junction, shown on the condensed profile. A 33 KV branch line has been run from this point to the single substation at the load center of the electrification. The transmission line is carried on the same poles as carry the trolley and feeder wires, every other pole being 10 feet higher to accommodate the 33 KV line.

LOCOMOTIVES

The two electric locomotives are of the steeple cap type and have a weight of 60 tons each, on four driving axles. Each locomotive is equipped with four type 582 FD5 railway motors rated at 200 H. P. each, with forced ventilation. The motors are arranged for field control and are direct geared and axle mounted. Although each locomotive is a complete unit in every detail, the cabs are arranged for multiple unit operation, by means of sockets and jumpers for connecting together their control circuits as well as to provide a power bus between the two units. Hence the two cabs may be coupled and operated as a single locomotive with but one engineer. If desired either locomotive may be operated separately, in which case half tonnage may be hauled. Operation of the slider trolleys of both units may be controlled from either cab.

The two cabs working in multiple will bring 20 loaded cars of logs over the 17 miles of the electrification in approximately 75 minutes, which gives a schedule speed of 14.25 miles per hour for the entire distance. The return trip can be made with as many empty cars as desired, in approximately 40 minutes.

When operating on short field connections with the master controller in the full parallel position the power peak required by 20 car trains ascending grades represented by sections 3, 5 and 7 on the condensed profile will be approximately 1265 KW.

SUBSTATION EQUIPMENT
From an inspection of the calculated power demand throughout the run from Chester to Westwood it is apparent that a 10,000 KW substation, with an overload capacity of one and one half times load for two hours and a momentary rating of 300 percent will provide ample power for this electrification. The substation is to contain two 500 KW 759 volt synchronous converters permanently operated in series to supply 1500 volts dc to the trolley. With the exception of the features of remote starting and stopping of the unit from Westwood, the station is to be fully automatic. A selector type train dispatching system now installed is utilized to provide the remote control feature.

A single direct current feeder, supplied through a newly developed carbon feeder breaker known as the "CH" interrupter, which is equipped with short-circuit detector and service restoring features, taps directly into the trolley. Short circuit protection to the converters is provide by a 1200 ampere high speed circuit breaker in the positive side of the machine circuit. This breaker is equipped with a shunting resistance designed to limit the short circuit current drawn from the station, to the commutating capacity of the converters.
(paragraph omitted, not legible)

In addition to the short circuit protection, the principal abnormal conditions against which automatic protection is afforded, are as follows:
* AC control voltage below 90% normal.
* Failure to rotate.
* Failure of sequence.
* Reversed polarity.
* Phase unbalance-current or voltage.
* Single or reverse phase.
* AC overload.
* DC overload.
* Overheating of converter winding.
* Overheating of bearings.

Troubles which require the attention of the maintenance man before the station can be safely re-started, operated to lock the station out of service. This is accomplished through the medium of an annunciator lockout relay. This device is equipped with a series of targets for important devices and shows at a glance the reason for the lockout.

A rather unique solution was reached in regard to the type and design of system to be used. The fact that it is necessary to transport cabins, donkeys, loaders and other logging equipment over the line necessitates an overhead clearance which makes it impractical to suspend trolley directly over the center of the tracks. On the other hand a third rail system would not be feasible due primarily to the fact that a log rolling off a ca in transit would damage a third rail and possibly cause a short-circuit. In addition, snow conditions during the winter period would necessitate considerable extra expense to keep a third rail clear.

The design of distribution system finally determined upon utilizes an offset trolley, with the trolley wire at an elevation of 19 feet three inches above the track and offset nine feet from the center of the track. A modified simple catenary suspension is used. For the greater part of the distance a 3,000,000 CM copper feeder is utilized as a messenger wire. Two parallel contact wires of 4/0 hard drawn copper are used, each of which is supported by alternated hangers. Six-foot T iron bracket arms with five-eighths inch tension rod support the messenger wire from the wooden poles. These are spaced 150 feet apart on tangent and curves up to four degrees, and 100 feet apart on curves from five to ten degrees.

An indicating voltmeter connected between the trolley and ground will be installed at the trains dispatcher’s office at Westwood to inform the dispatcher of the trolley voltage conditions at will. In addition, provision is made for sounding an alarm immediately should the trolley voltage drop to zero.

In carrying out this novel electrification project T. S. Walker, graduate engineer of Standford University and Jack ?????, ????????? (not legible) for the company, were actively in charge of the installation.

After duty on Central California Traction and then the Pacific Electric these two motors found their way down into South America on the General Urquiza Railway, in Argentina, I'm pretty sure some juice fans can update what has happened to them since their 1951 departure from US soil.

I have posted this article here before, so for some its old news, but since there might be some new folks interested, I posted it again. Also here are some photo that were posted with the first TO thread on this subject.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/fullsize/76000/RRL_Elct_001.jpg

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/fullsize/76000/R_203_1.jpg

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/fullsize/76000/RRL_Elct_007.jpg

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/thumbs/76000/RRL_Elct_006.jpg

Below is a crude map of the line as built, prior to Western Pacific entering the area. Notice Almanor Junction became Clear Creak Junction after the coming of the WP.

Jimmy B

Date: 12/27/08 00:45
Re: The Red River Electric Logging Line

Here is another view that I've never posted on TO, atleast I don't think so...

Date: 12/27/08 04:49
Author: qnyla

Wow, neat stuff. Have any more (previously posted or not) ?

If people are confused about the location of the line on the map relative to Lake Almanor, the lake was enlarged in 1926.

Date: 12/27/08 07:44
Author: LoggerHogger

The first photo is a nice shot of Red River Lumber #203 and #204 at Westwood.

The next 2 shots show RRL #203 fresh from her rebuild following her wreck. In 1930 #204 and #203 were separated for some reason and were towing their separate trains in opposite directions. #203 had a load of logs behind her bound for Chester. #204 was towing a tank car and a train of empty log flats bound for Westwood. The crew on #204 missed a signal and proceeded into the block occupied by #203. The result was a head-on. #204's frame climbed the frame of #203 and nearly demolished the cab of #203.

No one was injured in the collision, but #203 was in the shop for months. When she emerged she had a new cab configuration that extended the length of the frame as shown in these photos.

The photo of #204 shows her also after the rebuild following the wreck. She retained her original cab configuration.

All photo here by Bert Ward.

Martin

Date: 12/27/08 12:48
Author: truxtrax

Jimmy and Martin, thank you for the facts and photos. This is what makes TO superior to almost any other source of information about rail operations anywhere in the world. And many thanks to Todd for creating and maintaining Trainorders!

Butch,,,,,,,here we go

Date: 12/27/08 14:08
Author: BobP

RE: The design of distribution system finally determined upon utilizes an offset trolley, with the trolley wire at an elevation of 19 feet three inches above the track and offset nine feet from the center of the track.

Why the offset? High loads?

Date: 12/27/08 15:46

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RE: The design of distribution system finally
> determined upon utilizes an offset trolley, with
> the trolley wire at an elevation of 19 feet three
> inches above the track and offset nine feet from
> the center of the track.
>
> Why the offset? High loads?

From the article: "A rather unique solution was reached in regard to the type and design of system to be used. The fact that it is necessary to transport cabins, donkeys, loaders and other logging equipment over the line necessitates an overhead clearance which makes it impractical to suspend trolley directly over the center of the tracks. On the other hand a third rail system would not be feasible due primarily to the fact that a log rolling off a ca in transit would damage a third rail and possibly cause a short-circuit. In addition, snow conditions during the winter period would necessitate considerable extra expense to keep a third rail clear."

Jimmy B

Date: 12/27/08 18:42
Author: poffcapt

Was there ever a book done about the Red River Lumber Co. and its electric line?

Barry

Date: 12/27/08 18:59
Author: LoggerHogger

Yes on the book. My old friend, the late Bob Hanft did "RED RIVER, Paul Bunyon's Own Lumber Company and It's Railroad".

Published in 1979 by California State University at Chico. A big beautiful hardbound book. I began my years of correspondence and trading photos with Bob when this opus came out.

Martin

Date: 12/27/08 19:20
Author: rehunn

Can be a little hard to find but is an excellent piece especially on the electric side. I wish there
were more pictures on the Poison Lake trackage as the line that parallels Hwy 44 is interesting
in it's construction and seems to bear out the rumor that they were interested in a fairly substantial
connection at Burney.

Date: 12/27/08 20:06
Author: JDLX

There is a historical society in Westwood that reprinted the book within the last 2 or so years. I don't have their contact information immediately available right now, but I seem to remember they were selling it in the $40-$50 range.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 12/28/08 11:53

I got my first copy from Hanft during 1980 or 81, he came to speak about the Red River at a Lassen County Historical Society meeting in Westwood. Enjoyed the book but some how it was packed away with some papers that I donated to UNR, so after looking for it for a couple of years and finally realizing what happened to my first copy, I bought another copy off of someone on one of the list that I belong to, as I remember it I paid about 20 bucks for that copy. I see they go for 100 plus bucks now. As Jeff mentioned there was a 2nd printing done by the Westwood Museum folks...

Jimmy B

Date: 12/28/08 12:45

Thought I'd show one of the pieces of equipment that needed to be moved over the electrified line.

Pictured below is Red River Lumber Company's donkey engine No. 4, this early postcard view was taken sometime during the late teens. The donkey was wood fired at the time, although during the twenties the company would covert this and others machines to oil. Two men with a two wheel cart and one horse would cut and haul fuel for each high lead machine, utilizing limbs from felled trees.

It is also interesting to note that the loading engine, which was a Smith & Watson 91/2" x 10" machine, is mounted on the front of the donkey sled ahead of the yarding engine. With both engines, drawing steam from the same boiler on the sled. The company used Toots-E electric signals to guide yarding moves.

Jimmy B

Date: 12/28/08 19:18
Author: poffcapt

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes on the book. My old friend, the late Bob
> Hanft did "RED RIVER, Paul Bunyon's Own Lumber
> Company and It's Railroad".
>
> Published in 1979 by California State University
> at Chico. A big beautiful hardbound book. I
> began my years of correspondence and trading
> photos with Bob when this opus came out.
>
> Martin

I just scored this book on eBay. If anyone else is interested, there are a couple on Amazon at $100+.

Barry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1008 seconds