Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tuesday, it's time for some train parts.....

Date: 01/05/10 19:13
Tuesday, it's time for some train parts.....
Author: xtra1188w

I haven't done this for a while, so here is one train component and rwo units that are used to facilitate the movements of trains, ie the mow trailers. The Frisco cabose has been morphed into Jose's (or some other Mexican name) Taco Shack or something similar to this theme. Here, it's een sitting on the north side of west 5th Street in Austin Texas.

Con

Date: 01/05/10 19:22
Re: Tuesday, it's time for some train parts.....

Here's a couple more. The second picture was taken at a small steel recycling mill in Vinton Texas in 1977. Vinton is at mile marker 3 on I-10 just east of the Texas-NM border.

Con

Date: 01/05/10 19:43
Author: africansteam

Hey Con,

Compare your photo of Frisco caboose 1120 with this ex Frisco caboose (No. 180) from the Santa Maria Valley Railroad now preserved by the Santa Maria Vally Railroad Club In Santa Maria California.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 01/05/10 19:51
Author: mcfflyer

Boy that MKT RDC looks like it has led a hard life.

Lee Hower

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/10 19:51 by mcfflyer.

Date: 01/06/10 10:05
Author: Clarence

Here's ICGZ 631668, now retired to hauling sawdust. Photographed at a local stable the day before the barn roof caved in.
I assume the holes in the back doors are where they blow the sawdust in.
Clarence

Date: 01/06/10 10:19

Clarence Wrote:

> I assume the holes in the back doors are where
> they blow the sawdust in.
> Clarence

Yeah, I expect that that's right. I hauled a few loads of sawdust out of a molding and baseboards manufacturing mill that was located in El Paso Texas of all places! They had their lumber hauled in on railcars several times per week and did the milling at the El Paso plant. What saw dust they didn't use at a horse race track near Las Cruces New Mexico I tried to haul back to Austin Texas as a back haul in a 60 yard end dump trailer with a full coverage tarp. A load of sawdust took a long time to load, and the most that I was ever able to pack and cram down into my trailer was about 8 tons worth. There was another plant in Austin which mixed sawdust with petroleum wax and compressed the mixture into fireplace logs that they retailed in stores in packages of about four of these fireplace logs.

Your comment just brought that memory flooding back into my brain.

Con

Date: 01/06/10 10:22

africansteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Con,
>
> Compare your photo of Frisco caboose 1120 with
> this ex Frisco caboose (No. 180) from the Santa
> Maria Valley Railroad now preserved by the Santa
> Maria Vally Railroad Club In Santa Maria
> California.
>
> Cheers,
> Jack

Your caboose looks to be in better shape than does the one in Austin, but at least the one in Austin still looks like how a Frisco caboose should appear. :-)

Con

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds