Home Open Account Help 177 users online

Nostalgia & History > CNW Left Hand Running

Date: 01/21/10 12:45
CNW Left Hand Running
Author: wzd

Does the UP still obeserve left hand running on the former CNW Lines?

Back in the olden days of the CNW, were there any interesting transitions from CNW double track to other roads double track - I can see this at Council Bluffs, Milwaukee (CNW to Milw Rd), Twin Cities, etc.?

Lastly, did the Omaha Road have left or right hand running (don't know if they had much, if any, double track).

I've also posted on the Western Railroads forum.

Thanks,
Bill Davidson

Date: 01/21/10 12:59
Re: CNW Left Hand Running
Author: rob_l

wzd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the UP still obeserve left hand running on
> the former CNW Lines?

They did until two-main-track CTC was put in.

>
> Back in the olden days of the CNW, were there any
> interesting transitions from CNW double track to
> other roads double track - I can see this at
> Council Bluffs,

In the 70s the CNW collapsed down to a single track on the way to UP interchange. Not sure what it was like before that. But the whole UP portion of the Bluffs was multiple-track interlocking limits anyway.

> Milwaukee (CNW to Milw Rd), Twin
> Cities, etc.?
>
> Lastly, did the Omaha Road have left or right hand
> running (don't know if they had much, if any,
> double track).
>

Don't know.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 01/21/10 16:29
Author: NebraskaZephyr

At least in Metra commuter territory left-hand running is maintained, even in areas where CTC permits bidirectional running. This is largely due to the ingrained behavior of generations of C&NW commuters. Metra's signage is also set up on the ex-C&NW lines to direct passengers to the left-hand platform to board trains.

In current-of-traffic territory, changing over to right-hand running would entail repositioning signal heads to face the opposite direction, which would require expending money for a project that would not increase safety or capacity.

As for the CStPM&O (Omaha Road), I've read in several places over the years they actually ran right-handed.

NZ

Date: 01/21/10 16:35
Author: mamfahr

> Does the UP still obeserve left hand running on
> the former CNW Lines?

Hello Bill,

From what I've observed, their normal traffic pattern is to run "left handed", but, as Rob mentioned, they are CTC equipped so they can and do often run right handed at times (or, even both tracks eastward or both westward - depends upon the situation...).

> Back in the olden days of the CNW, were there any
> interesting transitions from CNW double track to
> other roads double track - I can see this at
> Council Bluffs,

I do recall seeing photos of a set of crossovers just west (south) of CNW's Co. Bluffs yard that were used by trains to cross over westbound LH to RH when entering UP trackage or eastbound RH to LH when entering CNW trackage. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any other locations where that was done.

> Lastly, did the Omaha Road have left or right hand
> running (don't know if they had much, if any,
> double track).

'Don't know much about the 'Omaha, so I can't help you there.

Take care,

Mark

Date: 01/21/10 17:28
Author: Daze

CSTPM&O operated right handed on double track. Wyeville-St. Paul was the only significant section, but there were some classic C&NW semaphores arranged for right hand running. The second track was mostly removed in 1963 after the discontinuance of the Twin Cities 400.

Date: 01/21/10 18:04
Author: DNRY122

I think this has already been discussed, but since the topic has been brought up, here are two possible explanations for the CNW left hand running (as a "southpaw" myself, I don't find it the least bit strange)
A) The original engineering for the CNW lines in the Chicago are was done by an Englishman, who thought left-hand running was quite proper.
B) At least on the east-west oriented lines, the prevailing winds reportedly come from the north in the wintertime. Left-hand running places the inbound track on the north side, where waiting houses and station buildings provide windbreaks for commuters waiting for the train to downtown in the morning. In the evening, the passengers don't have to stand around and wait--they head for their homes (or in modern times, their cars). The second explanation will be viewed with skepticism by people who can't believe that a railroad would take passenger comfort into consideration.

Date: 01/22/10 06:36
Author: mamfahr

> ... here are two possible explanations for the CNW left hand running
> A) The original engineering for the CNW lines in the Chicago are was done by an Englishman,
> B) Left-hand running places the inbound track on the north side,

I'll give you a hint, it's not A ;-)

Mark

Date: 01/22/10 08:33
Author: ntharalson

Left hand running remains the general rule in Eastern Iowa,
although it can and often does go to right hand running,
usually runarounds. West of Boone, it's now often right
hand running, with the change over between Missouri Valley
and Boone depending on traffic and the dispatcher's mood.

I would expect we'll see the right hand running continue
to move east, probably to the DeKalb area, where left
hand running will resume for the commuter district. This
is just my personal view and I have heard nothing official
on this, so don't hold your breath.

FWIW

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/10 08:40 by ntharalson.

Date: 01/22/10 09:06
Author: NYSWSD70M

On Christmas day of 1987, I rode eastbound over the length of the CNW. We ran on the left hand side in Iowa and crossed over to the south track just after crossing the Mississippi River. We stayed on the south track all of the way to the IHB interchange. I don't know if this was significant but it does confirm Rob's point about CTC making right hand running possible.

Date: 01/22/10 09:15
Author: trainboy03

Right hand running is allowable with CTC now, but the general rule is still to run left-handed across Illinois and eastern Iowa. Whenever a special comes around, all bets are off as they tend to stick to one track while everything else gets out of the way.

Erik

Date: 01/22/10 11:08
Author: NYSWSD70M

trainboy03 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right hand running is allowable with CTC now, but
> the general rule is still to run left-handed
> across Illinois and eastern Iowa. Whenever a
> special comes around, all bets are off as they
> tend to stick to one track while everything else
> gets out of the way.
>
> Erik

My ride was not on a special. It was on whatever the symbol would have been for a North Platte to Blue Island,IL/Selkirk,NY train at that time. I have that recorded someplace but I do not have it with me. My only point was to report on what I experienced.

Date: 01/22/10 20:41
Author: wzd

I vote for B - that's my understanding of how it happened. When the Galena Division was built (as single track), stations were built to the north. Later, the line was double tracked and left hand running was adopted for the reasons you describe. I think the English engineering thing is pure myth. Actually, we found that the trains in France also run on the left, even though people drive on the right there. But ... I digress.

I wonder how things were handled and connected in Milwaukee when the CNW moved to the new Milwaukee Rd station in the mid-60's.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bill

Date: 01/22/10 21:17
Author: Daze

wzd Wrote:
>
> I wonder how things were handled and connected in
> Milwaukee when the CNW moved to the new Milwaukee
> Rd station in the mid-60's.

The connection at Washington St. on the south side of Milwaukee from the C&NW to the MILW was a single track connection controlled by CTC so no issues re left or right hand running. On the north end, the MILW Green Bay line was single track by the time it reached Canco and the connections to the C&NW Valley and Lakeshore lines, which were also single track.

Date: 01/22/10 22:07
Author: wabash2800

From what I understand, most serious historians beleive "A." is balony.

Note that the old Lake Shore & Michigan Southern also ran left handed. It was merged into the New York Central in 1914. And it was no small railroad with plenty of double and multiple track. I have seen photos of left handed semaphores after the LS&MS became part of the New York Central as late as 1919. I don't know when they changed to more conventional right hand running on these old LS&MS lines. I would suspect it was with the next major revamping of the signal system--probably in the 20's. Many of the left hand signals I have seen in the 1919 photos had wood masts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/10 22:09 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds