Date: 04/10/10 22:13
Re: SP Black and Orange on a PA
Author: FiveChime

That's really neat.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 04/10/10 22:43
Author: photobob

Ugly paint scheme but nice photo. Thats a shot of the Coast Daylight I've never seen.

Date: 04/10/10 23:00
Author: sphogger

Were you waiting for the Suntan Special JB? Looks like the same train in Palo Alto. I was there, dad was manning the Rolleiflex. Can't remember the date.

http://www.trainorders.com/images2/view.php?238574

sphogger

Date: 04/10/10 23:00
Author: mcfflyer

What an absolutely shocking scene - or I would have thought that way seeing that scheme, but expecting to see what the rest of the train was - a matched set of Daylight orange and scarlet. How could they?

Yet today, you give us this photo and the only thing I can say is WOW! Thanks so much for sharing, and even sharing it from Burlingame!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 04/10/10 23:25
Author: Cannonball4012

Nice!

Date: 04/11/10 08:44
Author: P5r24

Both Stunning photos!
Wonderful colors in the first shot.

Gary

Date: 04/11/10 09:10
Author: lpersonjr

Dittos on the kudos!!

Thanks for sharing.

Lorne

Date: 04/11/10 14:30
Author: dmaffei

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ugly paint scheme but nice photo.

Seems action photos of this paint scheme on SP power is hard to find. Especially classic views such as this one. Burlingame was a great depot to frame a train. Great photo John

Date: 04/11/10 15:43
Author: jbwest

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Were you waiting for the Suntan Special JB? Looks
> like the same train in Palo Alto. I was there,
> dad was manning the Rolleiflex. Can't remember
> the date.

It is possible. I did ride the Suntan that year, although my pix of the 4460 at WJ are date stamped July not August. Whatever I was doing at Burlingame that day, No. 99 does appear to have been followed by a train headed by the 4460 going somewhere. It is a sign of old age when you have to reconstruct history by trying to identify pictures and relate them to the date stamp. Thank god for the Kodak date stamps!

JBWX

Date: 04/11/10 21:28
SP4460 at Burlingame
Author: jbwest

Here is a picture of 4460 at Burlingame. I wonder if this is a Suntan Special. In looking through my pix that August 1958 morning, first there is No. 98 with the orange and black PA, then a passenger extra with two geeps, and thirdly the X4460. Earlier pix clearly show 4460 in WJ in July, which would have been a Suntan Special trip (with diesels on the branch to Santa Cruz). If the extra with the geeps was the Suntan, where the heck was this train going? Or if the 4460 was the Suntan, where was the pax extra going? Did the 4460 pull more than one Suntan in 1958? I am confuzzled. Anyone have a list of 4460 trips back then. I know in October there was a "Fresno Flyer" followed by the final trip to Reno the weekend of October 18-19.

Edit. A check of old Western Railroaders shows a NorCal steam powered excursion to Monterey "with steam" on August 17, 1958. So presumably the diesel extra was a Suntan and the 4460 is on the Monterey train.

JBWX

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/10 08:10 by jbwest.

Date: 04/14/10 15:35
Author: calhog

Rare shot indeed. Looks like folks are a bit close to the tracks, being #98 didn't stop at Burlingame.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.09 seconds