Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Nostalgia & History > USS Atlantic City WY operation

Date: 05/05/10 03:44
USS Atlantic City WY operation
Author: rschonfelder

Can anyone tell me in what form the Iron Ore was brought out of this Minesite and the destination of the ore?

Rick

Date: 05/05/10 05:53
Re: USS Atlantic City WY operation
Author: cdub

I can't answer these questions, but you probably want to get a copy of the recent Streamliner issue that had an article on the Atlantic City operation.

Date: 05/05/10 07:37
Author: balryan

The iron ore taken from this mine is what was called taconite which when its not processed is of low quality. The operation is now close and even the mill that the ore went to is no longer working its all been scraped.

The ore mine was owned by U S Steel and the ore came to Utah to Columbia-Geneva Division of U S Steel.

The power used for the ore trains from the mine to the UP interchange were F units from the B&LE road which US Steel owned. On the UP I have seen power from DD35's to new GE C30-7's for a long time UP used 6 SD24's A & B's.
The UPHS The Streamliner Vol. 23 No. 1 has the write up about this ore train

Ryan Ballard

Date: 05/05/10 09:36
Author: valmont

here's what it looked like on May 13, 1978 at Winton Jct. WY, the location where the USS trains interchanged with the UP

1. a loaded taconite train just getting to the Jct

2. at the interchange: power from the USS train and the awaiting UP power to pick the train up from here and take it to the UP main and beyond

Date: 05/05/10 19:43
Author: CCT41

what became of the USS F-units from Wyoming? They were neat machines, and one of them even had a home fabricated desk top style control stand.

Date: 05/06/10 04:56
Author: rschonfelder

Dale Sanders did an excellent article on this operation in his CTC Board. Dale, I think you are on here so maybe you can help me out with the issue? IIRC he also did an article on how he bought a former NP F unit from this operation and how he moved it ($$$$$) across to Oroville, California.

Rick

Date: 05/08/10 12:29
Author: fbe

balryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The iron ore taken from this mine is what was
> called taconite which when its not processed is of
> low quality. The operation is now close and even
> the mill that the ore went to is no longer working
> its all been scraped.
>
It is not taconite until it is mixed with flux and rolled into balls. That is what was shipped from WY to the US Steel mills.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds