Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Nostalgia & History > One for Tunnel Tuesday

Date: 11/09/10 13:21
One for Tunnel Tuesday
Author: pbrasky

Here's one from 6/81 of a B & M train exiting the east portal of the Hoosac Tunnel. The timing was perfect as my friend and I had just got to that location only a few minutes before the train.

Date: 11/09/10 14:08
Re: One for Tunnel Tuesday
Author: DRGW5502

Nice shot. I spent many hours there growing up with zero luck on the train front.

Date: 11/09/10 18:10
Author: md

I'll second that. Was lucky a bunch of times, but mostly un-lucky in cathing anything. How much more overgrown is it compared to that picture I wonder?

Date: 11/10/10 09:41
Author: pbrasky

That was my second time as well. The first time was at the West Portal. Smoke escaping from the tunnel suggested a train was moving in our direction. Well, something was coming my way, but it was only MOW equipment.

Date: 11/10/10 12:11
Author: wabash2800

I remember the B&M in the early 70s but unfortunately at age 12 I did not have a way to get to the tunnels. My haunt was Ayer, Massachusetts.

If you read the history of this tunnel, it took quite a while to build it and a lot of men were killed in the process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/10 12:39 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds