Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Nostalgia & History > CB&Q Zephyr

Date: 02/24/11 06:58
CB&Q Zephyr
Author: juicejunkie

This is one of the Burlington Zephyrs, most likely Zephyr 9902 (one of the original Twin Zephyrs), in storage at the Aurora Shops sometime in 1955. On May 26, 1960, the 26th anniversary of the "Dawn-to-Dusk" dash that introduced the Zephyr to the public, the original Pioneer Zephyr train (car numbers 9900, 505 and 570) was donated to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

Jack Bejna
Seminole, Fl / Los Angeles , CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/11 04:51 by juicejunkie.

Date: 02/24/11 11:56
Re: CB&Q Zephyr
Author: burlingtonjohn

I don't think this is the Pioneer Zephyr (cool shot anway) for the following reasons:

- The Pioneer Zephyr made its last run on March of 1960.
- The Pioneer Zephyr had service stripes below the engineer's window and it went to the Museum wearing them.
- Most significantly, the Pioneer Zephyr has a very distinct "brow" curvature along the top windows ... the subsequent Zephyrs had a more straight line across the top.

If I was a gambler, I'd wager this is most likely the Mark Twain Zephyr.

Regards & Everywhere West,
Burlington John

Date: 02/24/11 13:24
Author: passengerfan

Since the 9901 Zephyr was destroyed in 1944 in Texas we can easily eliminate that one. That leaves the 9902 Zephyr or the 9903 Zephyr and the 9903 was not retired until 1958 so that leaves the 9902 Zephyr and it was scrapped in 1956 so the timeline would be just about right.The 9900 Zephyr was as someone has already mentioned not retired until 1960. So the photo is probably one of the last known photos of the 9902 Zephyr before it was cut up for scrap.

Date: 02/24/11 17:53
Author: davew833

Sad to think any of these got cut up! Having a few of these preserved is certainly better than the fate of ALL of the Union Pacific M-series streamliners. (I know... wartime demand for aluminum sealed their fate.

Date: 02/24/11 21:25
Author: railscenes

What about the Mark Twain Z that sat in MacMillan Park (Old Threshers) in Mount Pleasant, IA for a few years? That train set is still floating around but have heard only 2nd hand reports of it still in existences. I have heard that it is in bad shape.
By the way, this is a good place to request for the museum run by the North Lee County Historical Society for a photo of the Mark Twain Z here in Fort Madison, Iowa. With a lot of luck it will have a Santa Fe passenger train in the back ground. We have expanded our rail exhibits centered on the the local rail scene here in Lee County including the Fort Madison & North Western 3' gauge. We have a lot of Santa Fe material but very limited amount of CB&Q here in Lee County.
Elevation and reconstruction of the Santa Fe depot complex has started, so we have moved our museum into the vacant CB&Q depot until they finish the rebuilding.
Thank you.
Steve Rippeteau

Date: 02/24/11 22:37

Now that I am at home (and not at work as I was when I posted earlier), I am looking at Burlington Bulletin #13, The Shovelnoses (published by the Burlington Route Historical Society (www.burlingtonroute.com).

9900 - retired from service in March 1960, donated to the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry in May 1960.
9901 - destroyed by fire in 1944 and scrapped.
9902 - retired from service in February 1954 at West Burlington, dismantled in April 1956 at West Burlington.
9903 - retired from service in May 1958, stored at West Burlington and sold in June 1960

I don't think the location of the picture is West Burlington, but due to the differences in carbody configurations, that 9903's "Becky Thatcher" baggage car is not in the picture (the addition of the extra car in the shot can be explained away) and that only 9900 and 9903 carried service stripes, I agree that this shot is most likely one of Zephyr 9902 (one of the original Twin Zephyrs).

Steve, I have pictures of the 9903 (as well as other Zephyrs), drop me a line; I would love to help you all out.

Regards & Everywhere West,
Burlington John

Date: 02/25/11 04:50
Author: juicejunkie

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now that I am at home (and not at work as I was
> when I posted earlier), I am looking at Burlington
> Bulletin #13, The Shovelnoses (published by the
> Burlington Route Historical Society
> (www.burlingtonroute.com).
>
> 9900 - retired from service in March 1960, donated
> to the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry in May
> 1960.
> 9901 - destroyed by fire in 1944 and scrapped.
> 9902 - retired from service in February 1954 at
> West Burlington, dismantled in April 1956 at West
> Burlington.
> 9903 - retired from service in May 1958, stored at
> West Burlington and sold in June 1960
>
> I don't think the location of the picture is West
> Burlington, but due to the differences in carbody
> configurations, that 9903's "Becky Thatcher"
> baggage car is not in the picture (the addition of
> the extra car in the shot can be explained away)
> and that only 9900 and 9903 carried service
> stripes, I agree that this shot is most likely one
> of Zephyr 9902 (one of the original Twin Zephyrs).
>
>
> Steve, I have pictures of the 9903 (as well as
> other Zephyrs), drop me a line; I would love to
> help you all out.
>
> Regards & Everywhere West,
> Burlington John

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm sure that this is Aurora as I've never been in West Burlington. It must be Zephyr 9902.

Jack Bejna
Seminole, Fl / Los Angeles , CA

Date: 02/25/11 05:00
Author: cozephyr

Is one of these now at Gateway Rail Services, Inc. in Madison, IL?

Date: 02/25/11 16:52

9903 (The Mark Twain Zephyr) is at Gateway ... the cars are basically shells. I don't know if it is back on its trucks or not ...

Regards,
Burlington John

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1221 seconds