Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > "A Midwesterner's Espee"... Pt 6

Date: 06/16/11 15:00
"A Midwesterner's Espee"... Pt 6
Author: aussiehinz

During the late 80's and early 90's, CSX operated several unique office car trips in conjunction with some of its connecting carriers. Trips from Jacksonville to Kansas City with BN, Jacksonville to Philadelphia, Reading, Hagerstown and Pittsburgh with Conrail, and others of similar scope were undertaken during the tenure of then CSX President Jerry Davis. One of these trips, in April 1990, was operated jointly with Southern Pacific. It originated in Atlanta, and then travelled to New Orleans, thence west on SP to Houston, north on the "Rabbit" from Houston to Shreveport, further north to Lewisville AR and on up the Cotton Belt main line across Arkansas through Pine Bluff and Brinkley to turn east and ultimately terminate at Memphis. I had the opportunity to ride this particular trip with my CSX and SP collegues, and although various meetings and working sessions were generally the rule of the workday while aboard, I was able to grab a few photos enroute. The equipment for this "PX" was furnished by CSX, and the F Units were in charge of the train throughout, on both CSX and SP trackage. I also made it a point to join the head end crew between Lewisville and Pine Bluff in the F's, where I tried to record a couple of meets as we rolled up the SSW.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. In the Louisiana bayou country 20 miles west of New Orleans, our train met this eastbound holding the main at the far eastern end of the "Sunset Route."

2. While on the head end of the passenger extra, we met this Cotton Belt westbound at Thornton AR.

3. The CSX F Units were rocking along pretty good at Thornton, and I was not able to hold the camera quite as steady as I'd hoped to. As I recall, our train was allowed 70 mph over most of the SSW main.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/11 12:17 by aussiehinz.

Date: 06/16/11 15:05
Re: "A Midwesterner's Espee"... Pt 6

4. Another westbound Cotton Belt freight behind the 7805 was still entering the passing siding when we encountered it near Bearden AR.

5. At Pine Bluff, we met this SSW westbound traversing the yard.

6. After arriving at Memphis, I had a couple of hours before having to head for the airport for the return trip to Jacksonville, and caught this eastbound coming off the Harahan Bridge over the Mississippi River.

All photos taken in April, 1990.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/11 15:10 by aussiehinz.

Date: 06/16/11 16:08
Author: bradleymckay

Nice photos! Unfortunately, don't have any symbols to go along with them this time :(

Allen

Date: 06/16/11 16:13

No matter. You impressed the heck out of me the last time!

Date: 06/17/11 03:50
Author: sp8192

Excellent stuff! Down where I am from! Lower Arkansas....or as I call it, LA! Picture #2 is Thornton, AR, not Thorn.
>
> 2. While on the head end of the passenger extra,
> we met this Cotton Belt westbound at Thorn AR.
>

Date: 06/17/11 12:16

Thanks much. Fixed it.

Date: 06/17/11 23:18
Author: SantaFeRuss

Nice photos. Miss the Southern Pacific/Cotton Belt!

SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds