Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Steam Engine and a wanna-be on Archer Hill

Date: 07/28/11 09:40
A Steam Engine and a wanna-be on Archer Hill
Author: SP8595

Union Pacific 4-6-6-4 Challenger #3985 is "the real deal" as it hauls a short freight Eastbound up Archer Hill, which is just East of Cheyenne, Wyoming, in April of 1994. This was some sort of deadhead move to position the engine for an excursion trip. In the second picture, C40-8's 9299 and 9298 descend Archer Hill on a Westbound drag in October of 1989. 9298 tries it's best to be an "honorary steam engine", but I think the fireman was running it a little hot!

Date: 07/28/11 10:30
Re: A Steam Engine and a wanna-be on Archer Hill
Author: 3rdswitch

Kudos John, very nice.
JB

Date: 07/28/11 10:32
Author: HogBoyJr

The fireman on that GE was using WAAAAYYYY to much oil on the firing valve causing the unburnt fuel to go down the flues and burn out the stack. Still, gotta admit it's doing OK on the smoke level. Usually when you use that much fuel the smoke is horrendous. I'm sure after you took that photo, the whole engine was smoking somewhere down the line!

Date: 07/28/11 15:01
Author: Evan_Werkema

Haven't you guys ever heard of an afterburner? ;^)

Date: 07/28/11 15:13
Author: tomstp

You mean GE burns like that??? Surely you jest!

Date: 07/28/11 19:44
Author: BNSF6400

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You mean GE burns like that??? Surely you jest!

Stack fire on a GE, its plain unheard of!!!

Date: 07/28/11 19:57
Author: santafe199

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You mean GE burns like that??? Surely you jest!

Don't call him Shirley...;-)

Date: 07/29/11 07:55
Author: nwkrailfan

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'll take the GE's over the steamer! Atleast the steamer will be around for awhile, those GE -8's were dropping like flies there for awhile.

Date: 07/29/11 19:12
Author: ats90mph

Good results can not be expected when an engine tries to be both internal and external combustion at the same time. I doubt it improved tractive effort either.

There is a story that someone told me, when a T&E employee complained to a GE rep from Erie about turbo issues, The rep stated: "We are the only locomotive company that provides engines with both locomotion technologies in one unit, internal and external combustion". Not getting the joke, the railroad employee asked, "what good does that do". The rep responded: "nothing, it's just a hell of a show".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/11 23:20 by ats90mph.

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds