Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Nostalgia & History > Oh! the shame of it. BN paint on UP caboose

Date: 12/21/11 14:56
Oh! the shame of it. BN paint on UP caboose
Author: donstrack

Ex UP 25054, CA-3, retired in August 1982, donated to (?), displayed at Pony Express District Tourist Center, St. Joseph, Missouri, until moved about 32 miles south to Weston, Missouri in (?); painted as BN 22566.

Don Strack

Date: 12/21/11 15:06
Re: Oh! the shame of it. BN paint on UP caboose
Author: SCL1517

That is a nice paint job--logo and fonts look pretty correct, but the fact it is on that cab is just so wrong! I'm trying to picture Armour Yellow on one of those CB&Q slant cupola cabs, and...well, I can't.

Interesting--thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/21/11 15:29
Author: imrl

There is an ex-BN caboose on display in Bonner Springs, KS which is painted in a similar color to UP yellow. It's not lettered for either railroad but as I believe a welcome billboard. It doesn't look too bad.

Date: 12/21/11 15:36
Author: SCKP187

That is just soooo wrong!
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/21/11 16:41
Author: Pacific_Division

Cabooses end up in the weirdest places. Valley WA on the BNSF ex GN Kettle Branch has a ex MP transfer caboose. Wenatchee has a former CB&Q BN caboose that to seems out of place.
Kevin

Date: 12/21/11 17:17
Author: Evan_Werkema

I found this car in Shawnee, OK in 1992 - an ex-L&N bay window caboose done up in Santa Fe colors. Santa Fe's only bay window cabooses were a couple of ex-TP&W hacks that only lasted a few years after the Tip-Up was absorbed. They were painted similar to this...minus the Pratt Foods lettering and with the emblem on the other side of the bay (and with road numbers that weren't already spoken for by cupola cabooses). At least L&N and Santa Fe weren't rivals in the way BN and UP were.

Date: 12/21/11 17:38
Author: imrl

Pacific_Division Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Valley WA
> on the BNSF ex GN Kettle Branch has a ex MP
> transfer caboose.

That's not a transfer caboose. These cabooses were built for the MOP specifically for road service. There are many of these still in existence and in service on the UP in work train service and for use as shoving platforms.

Date: 12/21/11 18:37
Author: SCAX3401

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
> I found this car in Shawnee, OK in 1992 - an
> ex-L&N bay window caboose done up in Santa Fe
> colors. Santa Fe's only bay window cabooses were
> a couple of ex-TP&W hacks that only lasted a few
> years after the Tip-Up was absorbed.

Didn't the Santa Fe have a couple of bay window cabooses assigned to ore trains in Southwest New Mexcio based out of Hurley? The reason was low clearance is either the loader or dumper. Maybe these were the ex-TPW cabooses but I thought they were there before the TPW merger and lasted longer than couple years.

Date: 12/21/11 19:36
Author: wpjones

donstrack Wrote:
> Ex UP 25054, CA-3, retired in August 1982, donated
> to (?), displayed at Pony Express District Tourist
> Center, St. Joseph, Missouri, until moved about 32
> miles south to Weston, Missouri in (?); painted as
> BN 22566.
>
> Don Strack

This caboose is in Honor of a young man that died suddenly.It sits next to a very nicely restored Burlington Depot along the St. Joe sub of the BNSF. They looked for a caboose for a long time and this was the only one they could find. Some where I have photos of the yellow ends being painted.I would guess its been in Weston 3-5 years
Steve

Date: 12/21/11 19:49
Author: Evan_Werkema

BNSF6400 Wrote:

> Didn't the Santa Fe have a couple of bay window
> cabooses assigned to ore trains in Southwest New
> Mexcio based out of Hurley? The reason was low
> clearance is either the loader or dumper. Maybe
> these were the ex-TPW cabooses but I thought they
> were there before the TPW merger and lasted longer
> than couple years.

You're thinking of the three Ce-4's, 999637-999639. They weren't bay window cabooses - in fact, they started life as ordinary Santa Fe cupola cabooses. The cupolas were removed in 1969 for added clearance, and sliding windows were installed near one end of the car. The ore shuttles ended in 1982, and the cars were retired soon after. Photo #10 in this thread by SP6190 shows one of the Ce-4's as well as a standard-issue cupola caboose:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2202235,2202317#2202317

One of the three Ce-4's, 999637, is preserved next to the relocated Santa Fe depot in Seagraves, TX. Chris Guenzler has some photos of it about 2/3rds of the way down this page:

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/dimmet3.html

The only actual bay window cabooses I know of on Santa Fe's roster were the ex-TP&W crummies.

Date: 12/21/11 21:34
Author: SCAX3401

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
> You're thinking of the three Ce-4's,
> 999637-999639. They weren't bay window cabooses -
> in fact, they started life as ordinary Santa Fe
> cupola cabooses. The cupolas were removed in 1969
> for added clearance, and sliding windows were
> installed near one end of the car. The ore
> shuttles ended in 1982, and the cars were retired
> soon after. Photo #10 in this thread by SP6190
> shows one of the Ce-4's as well as a
> standard-issue cupola caboose:

Thanks for the information Evan...I remember seeing them once on a visit to the region in the early 1980's and later in a book. For some reason my memory said they were bay-window but seeing the photos I remember clearly that were just cupola-less cabooses. Really a strange looking caboose! Thanks again.

Date: 12/22/11 07:56
Author: santafe199

Evan_Werkema Wrote:

> I found this car in Shawnee, OK in 1992.....

For general info:
That bogus AT&SF bay window caboose was still there as of 12-15 of last year. 18 years of weathering has taken its toll, though...

Lance

Date: 12/22/11 13:29
Author: Kodachromedude

What's the significance of the number 22566? It is neither the UP or a BN number.

Date: 12/22/11 18:04
Author: JoCoLB

Here's a picture of the Bonner Springs, KS, caboose. The photo was tqken jUNE 9, 2010.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds