Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Nostalgia & History > Former R.I. commuter car converted to arcade in 1981

Date: 01/01/12 21:04
Former R.I. commuter car converted to arcade in 1981
Author: JoCoLB

An enterprising fellow in Herington, KS, thought he was on to something back in 1981 after he was able to acquire a few of the former Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad passenger coaches that were primarily used earlier in commuter train service in the Chicago area. These pictures show how car No. 2702 was made over into a game arcade, known as "Crazy Cleve's Game Train." The owner and developer of the arcades was unable to develop enough regular game revenue to make it profitable. Like the Rock Island previously, the arcade business fell into bankruptcy and the former passenger coaches involved were resold to other parties as Crazy Cleve's assets were sold off by order of the bankruptcy court. These pictures were taken in Herington in August of 1981 where the first car was converted to an arcade. I have no idea where Car No. 2702 wound up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/12 21:06 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 01/01/12 21:10
Re: Former R.I. commuter car converted to arcade in 198

The location for these pictures was on a lumber yard siding in Herington. I have no idea what kind of rental agreement was in place for this "game train" to occupy such space during its short-lived business life.

Date: 01/02/12 06:07
Author: AndyBrown

Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

Andy

Date: 01/02/12 06:39
Author: santafe199

Excellent post, Larry! I met "Cleve" and remember (& shot) his 'Game Train' cars in Manhattan & Emporia. I've always wondered what happened to such a seemingly great idea. Of course,
this idea would never have gone anywhere in today's miniaturized digital age.

Lance

Date: 01/02/12 07:18
Author: The_Chief_Way

I recall Sir Lance spent a lot of money in one of those establishments....and was quite skilled.
The car at Emporia was finally sold off and moved a year or two ago, having long since been
relegated to other commercial uses.

Date: 01/02/12 17:40

Any idea where the former Emporia car now rests?

Date: 01/02/12 17:52
Author: twin_star_rocket

I caught RI 2711 at Amarillo, TX, just south of I40, many years ago...

Picture 1 in full Cleve paint, picture 2 in solid drab green for sale.

Brian Ehni

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds