Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Nostalgia & History > Bangkok station for Depot Friday

Date: 03/09/12 08:13
Bangkok station for Depot Friday
Author: andersonb109

For Depot Friday, here we see Bangkok's Hua Lamphong station. A very busy place. Train shed not only covers the tracks but also the main waiting area. Of course like all public buildings in Thailand, a picture of the King graces the front.

Date: 03/09/12 19:11
Re: Bangkok station for Depot Friday
Author: shoretower

Took several trains out of there in 1989, including "Expres Antarabangsa" (Malay name) to Butterworth, Malaysia. The Thai equipment ran through to Butterworth, although the on-board crew got off at Nam Tok (with the dirty linens from sleepers and diners). Train consisted of one tired first-class car (empty), and some nice second class A/C Hitachi stainless steel open-section sleepers (in which I had a lower berth), a non-AC diner, and coaches. Our sleeper attendant brought around bottled water, and at dinner time fetched food from the diner and set up a table in my section. Dinner was chili-garlic prawns, bok choy, and fried rice, and a large Thai Singha beer (for, as I recall, $4). Don't try that on Amtrak! It was delicious.

I don't remember what I had for breakfast, but something was served in the diner (probably congee). Had a nice fast ride down through Malaysia after clearing customs at Hat Yai (everybody had to get off).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0251 seconds