Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP 3337/LA&SL 3337, VC, NV caboose update

Date: 05/26/12 19:54
UP 3337/LA&SL 3337, VC, NV caboose update
Author: BobP

I was going to make this a whatwuzit but I found it on the CCR Caboose index, http://cencalrails.railfan.net/up3337.jpg

I have been going to Virginia City for a long time but never noticed it until my daughter moved up there, just down the street from the freight station.

I was lucky in that I met the fellow who "lives" in the station office area and he let me look inside the building but no picture taking. Inside pretty cavernous and filled with lots of "stuff". While my picture looks like the station roof is intact once inside the roof has lots of holes.

He said the caboose came from the Los Angeles & San Pedro. No comment on what is going to happen to it. It looks worse than the CCR picture taken some time ago (link above). This complements the CCR picture.

When I am back up there for July 4th I will try and find any more info unless a TO member can add more info.
I heard the property has been sold. No further details.

Date: 05/28/12 08:25
Re: UP 3337/LA&SL 3337, VC, NV caboose update
Author: donstrack

This car was built in June 1909 by Pullman as San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad no. 4273 (SPLA&SL 4274 was built at the same time). SPLA&SL shortened its name to Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad in 1916. Although the road was mostly controlled by UP interests from its earliest days, it became a UP subsidiary in 1921 when the Clark family interests sold out to UP. No. 4273 was renumbered to LA&SL 3337 in June 1922 and was retired in December 1933, so it quite remarkable that it still exists today, albeit sans cupola. These dates for 3337 are direct from UP mechanical department records.

Don Strack

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds