Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Nostalgia & History > 0-4-0

Date: 07/21/12 17:36
0-4-0
Author: Spikes

Between early animal and later electric powered streetcars were the c1890's Motor Road Lines with steam "dummy" engines disguised as cars to be less likely to frighten horses on city streets. Later it was discovered the noise and motion of the gear frightened horses. Horiz or vert pistons were used. 3 pic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/12 17:38 by Spikes.

Date: 07/21/12 19:46
Re: 0-4-0
Author: RuleG

Interesting photos and drawing.

Is the first photo showing an operation in Albany, NY?

Date: 07/21/12 21:50
Author: west

Hi,

The first photo is Albany, Oregon. The carbody on this loco was later removed and it operated
with a 'normal' cab. It later went into industrial service, was abandoned, rescued and
is being restored (as a 'normal' looking locomotive) by a private collector/historian
who has it about 70% restored and stored inside.

It is 42" gauge, a fairly common street railway gauge,
and this locomotive is actually an 0-4-2 with rear tank.

Don

Date: 07/22/12 10:23
Author: wp1801

Nobody has ever proven to my satisfaction that the Albany Street Railway served Goltra Park which was south of the Albany Oregon S.P. depot. I will be more than happy to see that map or document.

Date: 07/22/12 20:42
Author: lwilton

wp1801 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody has ever proven to my satisfaction that the
> Albany Street Railway served Goltra Park which was
> south of the Albany Oregon S.P. depot. I will be
> more than happy to see that map or document.

I don't have any proof (never before having heard of Goltra Park), but I do come across this web page:

http://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/entry/view/albany_streetcar_system/

"In 1892, an extension was built from the train station south to the Goltra Addition. A steam dummy engine pulled Car No. 1 over the half-mile route, which ended near the orphan home run by the Ladies Aid Society. Steam dummies were small locomotives housed in streetcar-like bodies that were believed to be more attractive, as well as less frightening to horses.

Street Railway Vice President and banker William H. Goltra had been responsible for procurring the engine, however the railway found it too expensive to operate. When the engine broke down around 1900, both it and the Goltra Park extension were abandoned and Albany streetcars reverted to horsepower."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds