Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Nostalgia & History > Ulster and Delaware Railroad

Date: 11/04/12 04:58
Ulster and Delaware Railroad
Author: flynn

I did a Keyword search for Ulster and Delaware on the following website and got 18 photos including the one I used in my posting, “Where is the Conductor’s bell?”

http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/all/cul/browse.asp

Eight of the 18 photos had cars in addition to a locomotive but it appeared that only in the one I used in my posting, “Where is the Conductor’s bell?”, had a string over the cars for the Conductor’s bell.

Below are 4 of the 8 photos of locomotives with cars.

Picture 1, “Title: Ulster & Delaware, Locomotive 2. Creator: Unknown. Date: ca. 1890s. Part Of Everett L. DeGolyer Jr. collection of United States railroad photographs. Place: Hunter, New York. Physical Description: 1 postcard: 9 x 14 cm.”

Date: 11/04/12 04:59
Re: Ulster and Delaware Railroad

Picture 2 is picture 1 enlarged 70%.

Date: 11/04/12 05:01

Picture 3, “Title: Ulster & Delaware, Locomotive 5. Creator: Unknown. Date: ca. 1890s. Part Of Everett L. DeGolyer Jr. collection of United States railroad photographs. Verso: [handwritten] Ulster & Delaware R.R. (3'ga) No. 5. 2-6-0 type. Brooks 6-1883 No. 963. Orig. Kaaterskill R.R. no 2. Jos. Smith Tannersville NY, U&D Agnet (asst.). Chas. Fuller Engr (oilcan, derby). John Aspin, Firewall. Perry McDonald Cdr. Guy Mattice baggageman unknown. Geo. F. Haines, Agnet. Physical Description: 1 photographic print: 15 x 20 cm.”

Date: 11/04/12 05:03

Picture 4 is picture 3 enlarged 45%.

Date: 11/04/12 05:05

Picture 5, “Title: Ulster & Delaware, Locomotive 16. Creator: Unknown. Date: 1889. Part Of Everett L. DeGolyer Jr. collection of United States railroad photographs. Place: Arkville, New York. Verso: [handwritten] U&D 16. Brooks. From Oscar Fuller, Arkville. Gift of Geo. Emmet 9/5/50. Physical Description: 1 photographic print: 15 x 21 cm.”

Date: 11/04/12 05:06

Picture 6 is picture 5 enlarged 60%. What is the frill on the coaches?

Date: 11/06/12 15:19
Author: pbrasky

flynn, The U & D branch connected with the West Shore & Hudson River RR, now CSXT's River/NJ Sub, in Kingston, N.Y. (MP ~87.1), not 2 miles from my home. (I crossed their tracks today on Cornell St.) Much of the track has been torn up, e.g., between Stamford & Oneonta, while some, e.g., between Arkville & Roxbury (Delaware Co.)is operated by the Delaware & Ulster RR and by the Catskill Mt. RR. (Ulster Co.) between Mt. Tremper and Cold Brook and for ~3 miles in Kingston west to the NYS Thruway bridge. Btw, the track to Hunter was narrow gauge. I'm including a link of the U & D ca. 1902: http://www.udrrhs.org/html/udmapjs.htm Moreover, it was operational as a PC branch until the mid-70's. I should add that various storms and floods destroyed both roadbed and bridges, e.g., at Boiceville and west of Phoenicia. Lastly, Robert Haines, a now retired photographer for our local newspaper, is quite knowledgeable about the U & D. Indeed, his father used to work that branch as an engineer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds