Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > L&N, SCL in the Deep South, South Suburbs that is....

Date: 11/06/12 11:32
L&N, SCL in the Deep South, South Suburbs that is....
Author: WrongMain

The L&N established a presence in ChicagoLand in the early 1970's, purchasing half of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois and also buying the Monon outright. The major yards in the area were Yard Center in Dolton, IL, ex C&EI, and in Hammond, IN, the old Monon yard. They also ran several transfers to the BRC's Clearing Yard in Bedford Park. In the mid-70's, the L&N was merged with the Seaboard Coast LIne into the Family LInes System. One of the nice results of this was the growing presence of SCL power "up North." Through the magic of the WayBack Machine, here's a small sample of what you could find in the south suburbs back then.

1. L&N GP30 1034 is headed north at Hammond with what I think is a Schnabel car. Sorry about the spelling; spellcheck doesn't like any version I put in there. Oct. 3, 1978

2. For a couple of years, the SCL showed up with some of their big power, here represented by SD45 2019 at Dolton on May 7, 1983.

3. L&N SD40 1244 is leading an empty hopper train southbound on the former C&EI main coming into Glenwood, IL. May 3, 1980.

Date: 11/06/12 11:40
Re: L&N, SCL in the Deep South, South Suburbs that is..
Author: WrongMain

4. A nice catch was this SCL RS11 switching in the former Monon Yard in Hammond, IN. August 8, 1976

5. Believe me, I still remember how cold it was when this L&N U23B, the 2757, rushed past me headed north in Glenwood. January 14, 1978

6. This C420, the 1378, doesn't quite know who it belongs to. It's got a L&N number, SCL paint scheme, and no markings to show. At least it knows it was in Yard Center in September 24, 1977. The light went away fast that day, leaving me with a quasi-night shot with no tripod or flash. Where was Digital then???

Date: 11/06/12 12:17
Author: RFandPFan

Really nice photos, thanks for posting.

Date: 11/06/12 20:39
Author: GP35

All are excellent pics. I really like the L&N GP30!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds