Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rails South

Date: 11/07/12 11:18
Rails South
Author: retcsxcfm

I see more post of older railroads posted by the west coaster's on this board than any other.
I just want to let you know there are other railroads out there.
So I will stand up for the South.

1) Atlantic Coast Line Pacific 1559 has a late running "Southland" at Perry,Fl.in the late 40's.Collection,Larry Goolsby.
2) Atlantic Coast Line E6 522 with train 91,"West Coast Champion".Deland,Fl.2-47.Photo,Bill Cogswell.
3) Atlantic Coast Line F3 330 with train 191,St.Petersburg section of train 91.Trilby,Fl.March 1951.Photo,Bill Cogswell.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 11/07/12 13:34
Re: Rails South
Author: YG

Keep 'em coming!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/07/12 14:02
Author: Funnelcam

Yeah thanks Uncle Joe!! Love it, I hope you're doing well!

Mike Cyr
Holiday, FL
Jointed Rail Productions

Date: 11/07/12 14:50
Author: RailThunder

Most excellent! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

Date: 11/07/12 17:54
Author: Frisco1522

Thanks! Love those ACL pacifics.

Date: 11/07/12 18:54
Author: garr

In the second photo the B-units appear to have white bands instead of silver. Does anyone know if that was ever the case? Or is an optical illusion caused by the lighting?

I have the same problem with some of the B&W images of West Point Route F units. I believe J Parker Lamb even stated blue and white in the Classic Diesels of the South book however the F units were delivered with blue bodies and silver bands.

Thanks for posting these Joe.

Jay

Date: 11/07/12 21:11
Author: ts1457

garr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the second photo the B-units appear to have
> white bands instead of silver. Does anyone know if
> that was ever the case? Or is an optical illusion
> caused by the lighting?

Southern Railway used real aluminum paint before WWII, but went to imitation aluminum (looks white) during the War to free up a strategic material. However after the War, Southern stuck with the imitation aluminum. As for the Atlantic Coast Line, I believe the same situation held, except after the War, ACL returned to the use of aluminum paint.

Date: 11/09/12 12:44
Author: garr

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense and solves the mystery. I will have to look at the B&W West Point Route photos to see the time frame they were shot in.

Jay

Date: 11/11/12 16:59
Author: mundo

Need all the old stuff, regardless of location.

Keep it up folks.

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2222 seconds