Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Nostalgia & History > Toto Tuesday: Busted 3rd trick at North Wichita

Date: 11/13/12 05:01
Toto Tuesday: Busted 3rd trick at North Wichita
Author: santafe199

On the evening of June 28, 1979 I was called off the Emporia brakeman's extra board to deadhead to Wichita to go switching. The Santa Fe was in dire straits, desperately needing manpower to cover the 3rd trick switch jobs. But somewhere along the pipeline of communication there was a breakdown. Somehow good old "not-yet-promoted-to-switch foreman" Lance was sent to Wichita to cover the switch foreman's position on the 11 PM job. By time I walked into the North Wichita yard office, the mistake had been discovered and I was promptly released to deadhead right back home.

Oh, I eventually made it home. But first I just couldn't resist the urge to take a picture, ANY picture, so I could brag about getting 3 days pay for railfan photography. The DH down to Wichita was exactly 100 miles, a call to work busted on company property paid 100 miles and the DH home was the same 100 miles. Is an idling GP 39-2 worth 300 miles in pay? You bet it is!!!

1. AT&SF 3631 sits idling, still waiting for a qualified switch foreman. Photo taken June 28, 1979 in Wichita, KS.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/22 13:15 by santafe199.

Date: 11/13/12 05:08
Re: Toto Tuesday: Busted 3rd trick at North Wichita
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice, and the foreman they probably finally got to work was most likely at time and a half short rested or on rest day! One expensive yard job.
JB

Date: 11/13/12 10:24
Author: CSabresXr1

Do you have more photos of that structure you could share?

Date: 11/13/12 10:34

CSabresXr1 Wrote:

> Do you have more photos of that structure you
> could share?

I think I do, but I'll have go digging through a couple of Logan boxes. Give me some time...

Lance

Date: 11/13/12 12:29
Author: santafedan

What was needed to make you "qualified?" As a non-railroader I would like to know.

Date: 11/13/12 12:59

santafedan Wrote:

> What was needed to make you "qualified?" As a
> non-railroader I would like to know.

Rules, rules, then: some more rules... There was also to be a minimum amount of working time amassed before they would have you take promotion to switch foreman. Same for becoming a conductor. In the RR world experience used to be the best teacher, and it which was easy to get with more people on the roster (ie: 4 man crews). I'm not saying that we need to bring 4 man crews back. I fully understand the economic realty involved here. But now with 2 man crews it is a lot harder to learn from the experience of your "elders" with less of them around.

In my story, June of 1979 was my 1 year seniority anniversary (with 4 of those months being furloughed). So I was nowhere near experienced enough to be trusted running a switch list.

Lance

Date: 11/13/12 18:27
Author: Cumbres

Great photo. Nice to see the old tower when it was in better condition.

Date: 11/13/12 19:19
Author: skinem

santafedan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was needed to make you "qualified?" As a
> non-railroader I would like to know.
I believe it was eighteen months before you were promoted to foremen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds