Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Nostalgia & History > Texas Transportation

Date: 11/18/12 07:53
Texas Transportation
Author: railstiesballast

In June, 1983, I found the Texas Transportation Co. moving two cars from the Pearl Brewery east about a mile to the SP interchange, about 1/3 mile north of the depot in downtown San Antonio. These appear to be cars of beer packaging returning empty, but covered hoppers of grain were probably the most common traffic. Most the beer went out by truck to local and regional markets.

Historically, Central Texas was settled by Europeans who brought with them the traditions of brewing, almost every town had a brewery. The Volstead Act was a curious matter reported in the outside world and of no concern locally, friends told me that most of the breweries stayed open during prohibition, serving their communities. But I don't know if any other breweries had their own RR, yet alone an electric operation. The Lone Star brewery south of downtown was served by the SP off the main line. I understand both are now closed, can anyone expand on this?

Behind the train is the IH-35 overpass. The local term was always "eye-ach 35", never "eye 35" or "Interstate 35".

Date: 11/18/12 09:11
Re: Texas Transportation
Author: WrongWayMurphy

We would never call it "the 35" either.

The tracks are still there (or at least they were recently) but no wire.

The brewery is being redeveloped into a retail, residential, office complex.

http://atpearl.com/real_estate

Date: 11/18/12 09:26
Author: NormSchultze

That little timber trestle is the San Antonio River. The motor depicted has been spruced up and is on didplay, under cover, at the Pearl complex. I havent seen the companion motor in years, but it is supposed to be tucked away in the old SP engine facility.

Date: 11/18/12 09:56
Author: miralomarail

In Aug of 1979 , I had to Take some classes at Fort Sam Houston for our Uncle Sam, on Graduation Day I walked into the Main office at Pearl in my Class A Uniform and was quickly granted Permission for Photo's

Date: 11/18/12 10:18
Author: zephyrus

Texas Transportation Co. dates back to 1887. What became Pearl Brewing had started in 1881 and in 1883 it was purchased by a group of investors that also owned Lone Star Brewing. They set about improving the brewery. To provide better transportation, the TXTC was formed as a private railroad. It would gain common carrier status in the early 1930s.

Pearl Brewery was just one of its many customers for years (at its busiest, TXTC served as many as 21 different customers). It even served Lone Star Brewery on Jones Avenue. That site is now the San Antonio Museum of Art and you can still see some tracks in the pavement near the museum. By the early 1970s, IIRC, Pearl became its only regular costumer (I heard a company on Newell Street had a spur and got shipments once in a very great while).

Reportedly motor 1 is stored indoors near the brewery. It is ex-Kansas City Kaw Valley and Western 504.

Incidentally, the TXTC in San Antonio was the second Texas Transportation Company. The first, according to Texas History On-Line, was a shortline in eastern Texas that was merged into the Texas and New Orleans (SP) in 1896.

Z

Date: 11/18/12 11:29
Author: Frisco1522

Wonder who started the routine out in CA of calling the Interstates "THE" instead of "I"?

Date: 11/18/12 12:35
Author: JGFuller

The use of the article "the" in front of a freeway designation seems local to Southern California. In the Bay Area, it is simply "80" or "101" - no preceding "the".

Date: 11/18/12 14:29
Author: TonyJ

The brewery and trackage is history. Electric No. 2 is on display in front of the where the brewery stood. The brick, round horse barn, used for banquets, weddings, conferences, etc) is still in use. All the street trackage is gone.

Date: 11/18/12 16:39
Author: RuleG

Several years ago, as one of the activities associated with a professional conference, I toured the brewery site and was impressed with the plans for the site.

One of the organizations which moved into the campus is the CIA. No, not the CIA which is currently in the news, but a branch of the Culinary Institute of America.

Here is a link to another website which provides more information about the redeveloped brewery:

http://atpearl.com/

A brief historical time line with a few photos

http://atpearl.com/about/history/

Here is a map:

http://atpearl.com/map

Date: 11/19/12 15:25
Author: twin_star_rocket

While at Texas A&M in the early 70's I went on a railfan road trip to "dirty old SA", ad got a cab ride in in the little boxcab. The three of us were invited to help ourselves to the iced-down case of Pearl on the floor. And by iced-down, they put a case of beer on the floor and dumped a bag of ice on it. Got to ride from the Brewery to the interchange and back...

Brian Ehni

Date: 11/19/12 20:24
Author: RuleG

twin_star_rocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While at Texas A&M in the early 70's I went on a
> railfan road trip to "dirty old SA", ad got a cab
> ride in in the little boxcab. The three of us were
> invited to help ourselves to the iced-down case of
> Pearl on the floor. And by iced-down, they put a
> case of beer on the floor and dumped a bag of ice
> on it. Got to ride from the Brewery to the
> interchange and back...
>
> Brian Ehni

I'm envious. That's my idea of a great railfan experience!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds