Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Nostalgia & History > Mystery Car?

Date: 11/19/12 13:10
Mystery Car?
Author: edsaalig

The first photo shows a Eastbound UP freight in Pomona around 1970. The mystery car is in the middle right side of photo. Photo2 shows a blow up of photo one. The question is; What is it? who is rebuilding it? and is it still around? I have no answers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/12 13:11 by edsaalig.

Date: 11/19/12 13:19
Re: Mystery Car?
Author: Waybiller

Looks like the one that was in Harold and Maude.

Date: 11/19/12 13:36
Author: The_Chief_Way

looks like an ATSF car with that underframe

Date: 11/19/12 13:49
Author: Pullman

Waybiller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the one that was in Harold and Maude.

Nope. Was Western Pacific 653, solarium at Rio Vista Jct on former Sacramento Northern now.

Date: 11/19/12 14:57
Author: SilverPeakRail

I think the car in question is the AT&SF 9, which was moved in the late-1980's to a spur in Monrovia behind the Beelner & Thomas Furniture Co. on Duarte Road. That site, between Shamrock and California is the future light rail shop site I believe. The car was owned by a couple from Thousand Oaks who were attempting a restoration. It moved from there on its own wheels (and friction bearings) sometime around 1991 or 1992, and I do not know where it went.

In the early 1970's, the ex ATSF 9 and the ex UP 6100 were stored in the fenced enclosure shown in the photo at Pomona.

Date: 11/19/12 17:06
Author: The_Chief_Way

most ATSF heavyweights sport a VERY distinctive "channel" underframe as seen here

Date: 11/19/12 18:07
Author: DNRY122

I remember that car in Pomona from my days of using the UP City of Los Angeles as my commuter train to San Bernardino in 1969-70. I wasn't aware that it wound up in Monrovia on that industrial spur (I vaguely recall that Stan Garner may have had a car tucked away there for a while). When it was in Pomona, it appeared that someone had taken on a project that was beyond their capabilities, but at least it wasn't scrapped on the spot.

Date: 11/19/12 18:28
Author: px320

DNRY122 Wrote:
> I remember that car in Pomona from my days of
> using the UP City of Los Angeles as my commuter
> train to San Bernardino in 1969-70. I wasn't
> aware that it wound up in Monrovia on that
> industrial spur (I vaguely recall that Stan Garner
> may have had a car tucked away there for a while).
> When it was in Pomona, it appeared that someone
> had taken on a project that was beyond their
> capabilities, but at least it wasn't scrapped on
> the spot.

The car in question is former Santa Fe business car 9. It was purchased by an individual in 1969 or 70 and parked on the spur near the SP's Pomona Station. He worked on the car, but it suffered a lot of vandalism. It was subsequently sold and oved to northern California. I understand it is alongside a highway, but I haven't seen it in 40 years.

The car I purchased in Monrovia was ex-santa Fe 10-3-2 sleeper Blue Water. It is now at the Fillmore & Western Railway. Santa Fe biz car 10 was also at that spur. It is now privately owned.

stan Garner

Date: 11/19/12 19:20
Author: Waybiller

Pullman Wrote:
> Waybiller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like the one that was in Harold and
> Maude.
>
>
> Nope. Was Western Pacific 653, solarium at Rio
> Vista Jct on former Sacramento Northern now.

Thanks!

Date: 11/19/12 19:23
Author: davew833

Union Pacific lounge dorm #6100 ended up in Salt Lake City, Utah by the mid '80s where it remained as a vandalized, stripped-out shell until Nevada State RR Museum bought it about 10 years later. I believe it's still there, being used for storage.

Date: 11/19/12 20:33

Does anyone know what happen to the 6104? Photo also taken in the early 79s

Date: 11/19/12 20:59
Author: davew833

Don Strack (UtahRails.net) says #6104 was sold and turned into an office of some kind in Claremont, CA.

Date: 11/19/12 21:29

Boy do I need to label my photos better. Yes, this is the site Upland not Clearmont, where these cars were made into first a restaurant and then in an office. They are still there to this day and still in use as a office.

Date: 11/19/12 22:06
Author: miralomarail

Yes they were used as a Toy store about 10 yrs ago, the Lady that Ran the Store had Photo's of the Car inside the store

Date: 11/19/12 22:46
Author: mwbridgwater

Was part of "The Railroader" restaurant off Indian Hill Bl. between Interstate 10 and San Jose Ave. in Claremont, Calif. (Late 1970s to early '80s?)which was one of two railroad-themed restaurants in Claremont during that period. Then moved to the business park in Upland, Calif. South off 9th St. between Benson Ave. and Mountain Ave. (Immediately North of the BNSF tracks.).

Some discussion about it here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2559538

Mark

Date: 11/19/12 23:17
Author: OCVarnes

My memory is that the Railroader Restaurant was located off the I-10 freeway in Redlands, California. When it closed it was relocated to somewhere in Montclair, California, and was re-purposed.

The restaurant in Claremont was the Claremont Depot. It was constructed mainly from box cars; something on the order of the Victoria Station restaurants. When it closed the restaurant was scrapped on site.

My wife and I ate there a few times. As I recall the food was satisfactory, but the service was poor.

That was the era where there were many theme restaurants which tried to get by on nostalgia instead of first class meals and service.

A greatly missed restaurant is the Taco Kitchen on Bonita Avenue in Pomona. You could have an excellent Mexican dinner there and drive a short distance to the the ATSF Pomona station to watch the Super Chief.

The Taco Kitchen closed because its owners retired and sold it to a party who knew how to operate it better than its owners of many years.

OCV

Date: 11/20/12 12:52
Author: Evan_Werkema

px320 Wrote:

> It was subsequently sold and
> oved to northern California. I understand it is
> alongside a highway, but I haven't seen it in 40
> years.

This is supposedly the car that is now part of the Cordelia Junction Antique and Gift Mall along I-80 at Cordelia, CA:

http://goo.gl/maps/95WYO

See also:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1625977
http://www.cordeliajunction.com/index.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0666 seconds