Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Nostalgia & History > mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645


Date: 11/26/12 05:38
mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: valmont

From my mFile .... looking pretty clean, but I have no info

When did this scheme debut?




Date: 11/26/12 06:34
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: ctillnc

Circa 1960 when many other railroads were dropping their complex paint schemes of the 1950s.



Date: 11/26/12 08:24
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: wabash2800

I would say it's on the west end of the railroad. Perhaps Moberly.



Date: 11/26/12 08:50
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: ClubCar

Valmont; thanks for posting that F unit. I love the colors, very close to B&O colors.



Date: 11/26/12 09:51
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: ATSF100WEST

Vince,

The original image of the 645 was taken by J. David Ingles, at Oakwood Yard in Melvindale, Michigan, on September 26, 1961. The 645 was the ex-1149 (Built 7-50). The F7's were renumbered in 1961.

(Info from "Wabash Trackside with Emery Gulash 1954-1974", by Jerry A. Pinkepank, Morning Sun Books ISBN 1-58248-118-0, pps. 37-38)

Bob Finan

ATSF100WEST......Out



Date: 11/26/12 10:20
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: ClipX

ATSF100WEST Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince,
>
> The original image of the 645 was taken by J.
> David Ingles, at Oakwood Yard in Melvindale,
> Michigan, on September 26, 1961. The 645 was the
> ex-1149 (Built 7-50). The F7's were renumbered in
> 1961.
>
> (Info from "Wabash Trackside with Emery Gulash
> 1954-1974", by Jerry A. Pinkepank, Morning Sun
> Books ISBN 1-58248-118-0, pps. 37-38)
>
> Bob Finan
>
> ATSF100WEST......Out


Bob you beat me to it!!!!!!



Date: 11/26/12 10:27
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: ATSF100WEST

Clip,

I remembered the image as soon as I saw it, so into the bookcase I dove, and voila! ;o)

Hey, we were both on the same "page(s)"!

Take care,

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out


ClipX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ATSF100WEST Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Vince,
> >
> > The original image of the 645 was taken by J.
> > David Ingles, at Oakwood Yard in Melvindale,
> > Michigan, on September 26, 1961. The 645 was
> the
> > ex-1149 (Built 7-50). The F7's were renumbered
> in
> > 1961.
> >
> > (Info from "Wabash Trackside with Emery Gulash
> > 1954-1974", by Jerry A. Pinkepank, Morning Sun
> > Books ISBN 1-58248-118-0, pps. 37-38)
> >
> > Bob Finan
> >
> > ATSF100WEST......Out
>
>
> Bob you beat me to it!!!!!!



Date: 11/26/12 13:40
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: valmont

ATSF100WEST Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clip,
>
> I remembered the image as soon as I saw it, so
> into the bookcase I dove, and voila! ;o)
>
> Hey, we were both on the same "page(s)"!
>
> Take care,
>
> Bob
>
> ATSF100WEST......Out
>
>
> ClipX Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ATSF100WEST Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Vince,
> > >
> > > The original image of the 645 was taken by J.
> > > David Ingles, at Oakwood Yard in Melvindale,
> > > Michigan, on September 26, 1961. The 645 was
> > the
> > > ex-1149 (Built 7-50). The F7's were
> renumbered
> > in
> > > 1961.
> > >
> > > (Info from "Wabash Trackside with Emery
> Gulash
> > > 1954-1974", by Jerry A. Pinkepank, Morning
> Sun
> > > Books ISBN 1-58248-118-0, pps. 37-38)
> > >
> > > Bob Finan
> > >
> > > ATSF100WEST......Out
> >
> >
> > Bob you beat me to it!!!!!!


Thank you both, moving it out of the mFile ....



Date: 11/26/12 19:06
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: SD45X

Interesting pilot. Wreck rebuild?



Date: 11/26/12 21:00
Re: mFile: Monday memory Wabash F-unit #645
Author: ClipX

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting pilot. Wreck rebuild?

Actually, they had coupler covers; similar like UP E's and were replaced.



Date: 11/26/12 21:11
Monday memory - Wabash Cab Unit Pilots
Author: ATSF100WEST

No.

All Wabash F7A's were delivered with the optional "Passenger (read: "straight", not "stepped") Pilot and Coupler Shroud". These esthetics combined were beyond question; the mechanics of the coupler shroud where one ran through snow and ice come wintertime, caused countless hours of headaches and delays when road freights had to deal with them. Besides the Wabash, the CB&Q, GN, NYC, and PRR, all used them at one time or another, and all got rid of them as soon as the "visual appeal" versus "functionality" factor wore off.

To further the Wabash angle, Every cab unit they owned was delivered with coupler covers/shrouds, as well as subsidiary Ann Arbor. So, we are talking about FA1's, FA2's, F7A's*, PA1's, E7A's, and E8A's. All were removed by 1960 or just prior. The reason for the flat section across the pilot bottom becomes obvious when you see a view of the shroud doors in the "open" position.

(*Including all GMD London, Ontario built, Canadian based units - in other words - the entire roster)

See below for images.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting pilot. Wreck rebuild?








Date: 11/26/12 21:26
Re: Monday memory - Wabash Cab Unit Pilots
Author: ClipX

Thanks Bob for correcting that for me!!!



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1061 seconds