Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Nostalgia & History > Shasta Daylight where is it Pt2

Date: 11/26/12 09:47
Shasta Daylight where is it Pt2
Author: photobob

A photo posted a few days ago of the Shasta Daylight some where around Dunsmuir has been driving me nuts, which isn't hard to do. I think it was backwards in the first post so I gave it a flip. I still think it was taken from the old Highway 99 bridge just south of Delta. I believe the train is about to cross Dog Creek. If anyone has a better location please come forward.

Date: 11/26/12 09:58
Re: Shasta Daylight where is it Pt2
Author: TCnR

My guess for this one was the photographer was standing on what is now the abandoned Dog Creek road bridge. The rock characteristics seems to fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/12 11:18 by TCnR.

Date: 11/26/12 10:07
Author: timz2

Nobody's going to do better than that

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.937621,-122.419276&hl=en&ll=40.937525,-122.418675&spn=0.001651,0.002411&sll=40.937773,-122.418873&sspn=0.001651,0.002411&t=k&z=19

Milepost 296 alongside the second car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/12 10:59 by timz2.

Date: 11/26/12 10:12
Author: ATSF100WEST

Date: 11/26/12 10:38
Author: RplusLJetService

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A photo posted a few days ago of the Shasta
> Daylight some where around Dunsmuir has been
> driving me nuts, which isn't hard to do. I think
> it was backwards in the first post so I gave it a
> flip. I still think it was taken from the old
> Highway 99 bridge just south of Delta. I believe
> the train is about to cross Dog Creek. If anyone
> has a better location please come forward.

This duplicate is from Stan Kistler. Even blowing the scan up I can't tell if I scanned it backwards. If I did, let me know so I can re-scan it for the collection. And yes a location would help too.

Adam

Date: 11/26/12 10:47
Author: timz2

If you have doubts, try to find another spot
where trains 9 or 10 could have high sun on
the nose and right side of the train, with the
river on the train's left, and a milepost in
the right place. (And the road across the river.)

See that stack or whatever it is at the rear end
of the lead unit's roof? In other pics of PAs it's
a bit left of the unit's centerline. Can anyone
find a pic (that's not backwards) showing
that object right of the engines centerline?

Date: 11/26/12 10:59
Author: TCnR

The bell and steam generator vents should tell which way the negative goes.

Last time I was at Dog Creek the Delta siding switch was visible from the road crossing. Not sure if the switch had been moved since the photo, which is plausible, otherwise the train in the photo in question would be traveling uphill since the siding is not visible. The rock face is lined with a rock fence now, but I thought there was a small bridge in there as well (just realized the small bridge may have been over Dog Creek itself). PhB should have a photo looking in that direction.

Closest I have for detail is this:
http://www.pbase.com/clivew/image/100594017

btw, the road on the other side of the river is a logging style road. The network follows the river for a short distance but also goes over the ridge into the next watershed. It could be a mining road, now it would be called a fire access road. in the summer there are a number of cars parked near the river with folks sun tanning, looked kinda suspicious to me.

The hiway 99 Dog Creek bridge has small overviews on either end, at one time drivers simply pulled over. parked and checked out the veiw. There are a few road-geekery sites that have photos. I think the road bridge is listed as a National historical structure of some sort. I'm not sure I'd want to walk across it though.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/12 11:40 by TCnR.

Date: 11/26/12 11:24
Author: photobob

The original post has the photo reversed. As you can see the vent in the rear is to the right of the locomotive viewing it straight on.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1623 seconds