Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP Mail Loading Diagram

Date: 12/07/12 22:43
UP Mail Loading Diagram
Author: edsaalig

Need help reading this diagram. I know it is a outline of a UP ROP car, but what is it telling me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/12 22:49 by edsaalig.

Date: 12/07/12 22:51
Re: UP Mail Loading Diagram
Author: MarkMeoff

This is a floor plan for an RPO and where to put the bags of mail on the floor of the car.

Baggage cars were set up in the same manner, where to store the bags so that they will be put off at the right stations down the line and the baggage man won't have to hunt for the bags in a huge pile.

Date: 12/07/12 23:28
Author: Notch16

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the 51-foot figure in the 'size' category would refer to the last 51 feet of an 83-or-so-foot car being available for storage mail in this configuration, leaving the Railway Post Office section as the remaining 30 feet at the head end (one of several standard sizes for RPO "apartments").

~ BZ

Date: 12/08/12 06:45
Author: rpobill

The SR stands for star route which is a private contractor using a truck.
When it gets to Green River, WY the bags are handed over to the SR.
I need to look up what the 900 numbers mean.
The date at the bottom shows it is the last month(s) for the RPO.

Date: 12/08/12 07:49
Author: ironmtn

Really interesting. Thanks for posting, and thanks for all of the useful comments from others. Great stuff.

Date: 12/08/12 10:33
Author: WOPRJim

rpobill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> I need to look up what the 900 numbers mean.

First three numbers of what is now the zip code.

Jim

Date: 12/08/12 10:47
Author: the_expediter

Right...970 are Oregon Zips and "All Classes" would mean all classes of mail (eg. 1st (letters, postcards), 2nd[periodicals & newspapers-altho some newspapers were Hot-treated like 1st- at least locally here in San Diego like the Wall St. Journal or SD Business Times if it arrived later than usual] and 3rd & 4th class)- Steve- 24 years service with USPS and then discarded like last weeks newspaper...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds