Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Nostalgia & History > Put Your Shades on for These Images

Date: 12/08/12 11:49
Put Your Shades on for These Images
Author: RDG630

Bi-Centennial GG1 #4800 at Harrisburg, Pa and then eastbound on the Trenton Cutoff at Earnest Yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/12 11:50 by RDG630.

Date: 12/08/12 11:54
Re: Put Your Shades on for These Images
Author: sp5312

Nice

Date: 12/08/12 12:03
Author: ironmtn

Surely one of ole "Rivets" brightest moments. Not my favorite bicentennial scheme, being rather over the top for my taste. But interesting nonetheless. And the second image, posing with the EMD demonstrator, is special for sure. Thanks for sharing these.

Date: 12/08/12 14:31
Author: Out_Of_Service

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And the second image, posing with the EMD demonstrator, is special for sure. Thanks for sharing these.

GM60C 6000hp is the demonstrator unit shown with the 76'er ... there was also another demonstrator a GM10B 10,000hp equipped with triple 2 axle trucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/12 14:32 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 12/08/12 14:45
Author: creosote

Wow! It looks like the bicentennial threw up all over that GG1!

Date: 12/08/12 15:12
Author: hawkeye

I wonder if that demonstrator unit was what was offered to the Milwaukee Road a few years before they abandoned the electric operations out West?

Date: 12/08/12 16:14
Author: RuleG

Nice set of photos. The GG1's bicentenniel scheme may have been gaudy, but remember the era (fashions, automobile styles and Amtrak interiors of the 1970s). OK, time to put on some Bee Gees music!

Date: 12/08/12 17:02
Author: ns2557

hawkeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if that demonstrator unit was what was
> offered to the Milwaukee Road a few years before
> they abandoned the electric operations out West?

Not sure of the exact date of the "End" for Milw Electrification, but I do not believe this was one of the Demo's from EMD offered to them prior to demise. EMD blt 2 Electric Demo's for use on CR. The first was the GM6C 1975 the 2nd was GM10B 1976. Both were built in the year represented by thier number. I believe the MILW ended their overhead a few years before these were built. Ben

Date: 12/08/12 17:57
Author: Costanza

If I didn't know any better....I'd say that's a female conductor up on the point of that GG1 in the first pic...

Date: 12/08/12 20:54
Author: stevelv

Dale, I remember being young and dumb in my pre teen to teen years. I thought GG1's and E44's were boring because we saw these all the time. Never dreamed how much I would appreciate these shots now. I remember a trip to Rockville bridge in 76 after Conrail was formed. Someone tipped us off that 4800 was sitting in Enola in bicentennial colors and our reaction was what?? Well on the way home we drove right into the yard (those were the days) and sure enough there she was looking a bit gaudy but red white and blue. Thanks for the memories.
Steve B.

Date: 12/10/12 12:07
Author: Gonut1

Nice shots. The asbestos dump really makes that eyesore standout!
Thanks for the post.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds